Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Feral hog green chili

wytex

Turned this :DSCN0667.jpg into this:DSCN0694.jpg
Nice 65 lb sow. Can't wait to get a ham on the smoker!

Last edited:
Nice 65 lb sow. Can't wait to get a ham on the smoker!

This was about a 70-80 lb boar we smoked for Christmas....you can see one of it's shoulders in the right foreground. The hog tasted much better than the store bought rib racks.

I have a wicked light set up like the one your rife...works well when the pigs cooperate.

Nice!
Looking forward to getting a real smoker this summer. Gonna bite the bullet and get a Yoder Durango. The old Brinkmann is about done. Then I'll be able to smoke the hams and ribs properly.
We had a FLIR to locate the pigs then used the H30 light to make the shot. Worked surprisingly well for 2 shooters on one light.

Oh man, that looks real good. Feral pigs are about the only way hunting in Montana could get better! Well, that's not true, but I sure would love to be able to hunt them throughout the off season!

Nice!
Looking forward to getting a real smoker this summer. Gonna bite the bullet and get a Yoder Durango. The old Brinkmann is about done. Then I'll be able to smoke the hams and ribs properly.
We had a FLIR to locate the pigs then used the H30 light to make the shot. Worked surprisingly well for 2 shooters on one light.

Our fabricated smoker is at least 40 years old...aside from needing a new trap door on the firebox it's still in great operating condition.

Good stuff Ken!
Miss my pig hunting.
Gonna try for some peccaries one of these days.
In meantime I'm cogitating on a homemade smoker.

I just wing it but here's what goes in my green chili:

At least 1 lb lean pork cubed
chicken stock or broth - 2-3 cans or so or a big box
10 or so roasted green chilis Big Jim's or anaheim
1 jalapeno
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
3-5 tomatillos
can of rotel tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt- I use smoked sea salt I made
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon mexican oregano
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 teaspoons chugwater chili mix

Parboil tomatillos then shock in cold water to remove skin, add them and half of chilis in blender and blend together , leave slightly chunky
Brown the pork in oil and remove, add onion to pot and brown, add garlic and rest of chilis- chopped with jalapeno and saute a bit
Add blended chilis and rotel tomatoes
Add chicken stock or broth
Add meat and spices and lemon juice

add 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with the juice for thickener after cooking for am while

I don't measure my ingredients so these are close approximations.

Looks good!
I do a similar recipe, but I bbq all the veggies before blending everything. I get a nice char on them and it gives the whole dish a smokey flavor!

Oh man, that looks real good. Feral pigs are about the only way hunting in Montana could get better! Well, that's not true, but I sure would love to be able to hunt them throughout the off season![/QUOTE

You don't want feral pigs in your state, they are incredibly destructive and are impossible to control.

I just wing it but here's what goes in my green chili:

At least 1 lb lean pork cubed
chicken stock or broth - 2-3 cans or so or a big box
10 or so roasted green chilis Big Jim's or
1 jalapeno
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
3-5 tomatillos
can of rotel tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt- I use smoked sea salt I made
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon mexican oregano
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 teaspoons chugwater chili mix

Parboil tomatillos then shock in cold water to remove skin, add them and half of chilis in blender and blend together , leave slightly chunky
Brown the pork in oil and remove, add onion to pot and brown, add garlic and rest of chilis- chopped with jalapeno and saute a bit
Add blended chilis and rotel tomatoes
Add chicken stock or broth
Add meat and spices and lemon juice

add 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with the juice for thickener after cooking for am while

I don't measure my ingredients so these are close approximations.

Thanks!

Only changes I'd make would be to ditch the chilis and jalapeno, substitute instead 6-8 Hatch chilis. Also brown about 3-4 tbsp of flour in the skillet after draining off all but 1 tbsp of the renderings. That would replace the corn starch and would make it more like a Northern NM version of one hell of a dish.

Last edited:
I agree tarheel, roux would be much better than the cs. took the lazy way out. Half the roasted chilis were Hatch Big Jim's, other half were roasted Colorado grown Anaheims. I buy roasted chilis at the farmer's market during summer and freeze them for use year round.

Smart man Wytex!!

I make a LOT of feral hog green chili dishes!

As for the roux, and/or corn starch .... I use hominy in my recipe, and my magic trick for making my chili thicker, is to put about 1/2 cup of hominy in a bullet blender with some liquid, and BLEND til it makes a smooth paste, and then stir this paste into the chili. I do this step about 30 min before I pull it from the heat. thickens it nicely while still adding flavor.
I also blend a fist full of cilantro with some water and stir this in just before serving. This really "brightens" it up from just being a bunch of rich heavy flavors.

GOOOOOOD eatin!!

Attachments

• green chili.jpg
    green chili.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I agree tarheel, roux would be much better than the cs. took the lazy way out. Half the roasted chilis were Hatch Big Jim's, other half were roasted Colorado grown Anaheims. I buy roasted chilis at the farmer's market during summer and freeze them for use year round.

No one back here had ever heard of a Big Jim so I got enough seed from Rocky Mountain Seed Co. to last me 5 lifetimes. I mostly use them for rellenos and if I want flavor and heat I'll kick in the Hatches. When in Denver in the late summer we have our favorite chili roaster on North Federal Blvd. and will buy a bushel, peel and freeze them for the trip home. Last time there we found roasted and chopped Hatches in quart jars at Costco so we stocked up with several jars too.

Another good pepper with lots of zing is the Mirasol but they aren't as easily found as the others.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back