Caribou Gear

You Tube - Using Boundaries As Your Ally

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Many people have requested we start on an "E-scouting" series. In the process of storyboarding that series we discovered a few things I take for granted and thought everyone did. In this video we talk about one of those tactics - using boundaries to your advantage.

Most people want to hunt the area in the middle of a big swath of public land. I get that. Yet, odds are you will find a lot more hunters in those areas and places with more pressured deer. I look for spots with fewer hunters, more game, better age class, and higher likelihood of drawing a tag. That almost always leads me to boundary areas as I describe in this video.

I use it for deer, elk, and antelope. I use it a ton in places with serious boundary challenges such as MT, WY, CO, and NM. Places with interesting boundaries drives my application strategy. I started cataloging the animals I've taken and what aspects were important to finding and taking that animal. Boundaries were the most common aspect I found.

So, here is a quick video of how I use boundaries. It could be an hour long to go into more detail, but I think this shorter version will make the point.

[video=youtube_share;8f0L6JNEveg]https://youtu.be/8f0L6JNEveg[/video]

If you wondered why I am such a big fan of the onXmaps system, I suspect this will clarify that.

Randy, I've hunted both the edge of unit boundaries (a lot) and next to a rez boundary here in Arizona. Good info for those who've overlooked the strategy ...

Last edited:
do you stay 20 yards or 200 yards on the safe side of the public land?

Thanks it was very much to the point, and understood.

But what action should be taken if the quarry dies on the wrong side of the boundary?

Cheers

Richard

Ssshh! Shaddup!

Seriously, this is great advice. Especially the part about getting familiar with your tools.

Thanks it was very much to the point, and understood.

But what action should be taken if the quarry dies on the wrong side of the boundary?

Cheers

Richard

First, make sure it doesn't die on the wrong side.

If it does, contact the landowner and ask permission to retrieve. I've yet to encounter that problem and hope I never do.

Been hunting the fringe for many years.The boundaries vary .The goal is the overlooked pockets & strips. The ones with easier access needs due to my age now are my target & limited. But I do find spots folks go right by on their way to "The Spot" more than ever. lol Using them as bird-dogs has become a joy.

First, make sure it doesn't die on the wrong side.

If it does, contact the landowner and ask permission to retrieve. I've yet to encounter that problem and hope I never do.

Thanks Randy, as i thought, same as in the UK then, but i would really like to know (just in case the unthinkable happened) and the Elk/deer crossed from one state to another what happens then?

Without me giving away too much information on where i hunt, i think you can understand why i asked the latter question as i gave you an idea when i spoke to you last year where we were heading.

Thanks

Richard

Back