Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hello from KS

Sarge

Great info here, I hope I can contribute. I hunt whitetail in KS with archery equipment, and have done 2 CO elk hunts, unsuccessfully. One from a friends cabin during 3rd rifle, and one backpack archery trip. I'm addicted to the mountains now, and have made it a yearly trip. I also hope to pronghorn hunt WY or CO soon!

You might consider building points in WY for pronghorn, at a minimum, if you do not mind hunting on the sage flats. Perhaps you have some points in WY now. WY gives out many pronghorn tags to non-residents so that it only takes a few years for most of the hunters with more points than you to either draw or they get handcuffed to their point total and are not trying to draw anything but the best few units or are just building points. Either way, you could hunt WY every year for pronghorn or build points and hunt every 5th year or so on a very good hunt with plenty of public land to hunt and high harvest rates. You could add WY deer and then get a good hunt every 10 years of so with some of those in the mountains. Sheep and moose offer so few non-resident tags that only a handful are awarded to non-residents in the random pool and you would chase the point pool for decades to be at the top and most likely will never reach the top before your hunting days end. Pronghorn avoids this since supply is closer to demand.

NM has some mountains and there are elk tags to draw or can buy from a landowner. NM has draw and landowner tags for pronghorn as well.

CO has a lot less pronghorn than WY though in about 10 years of building points should be able to get a nice tag though private property is harder to avoid in many units so do some research as you build points in CO.

Good luck on your draws. You are well along the elk hunting learning curve. You will get an elk soon!

Thanks guys. Working on building points...Have a few WY elk points, need to get some for antelope!

Welcome to the group.

What part of Kansas are you from? I live in Southwest Kansas. I'm just getting into trying elk and other big game hunting.

Welcome to HuntTalk. Kansas antelope with archery is OTC for residents so you can hunt antelope every year if you wish (KDWPT website says 200 such permits were issued last year)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back