New Hunter- youth rifle suggestions

Thanks

Thanks for all the help. I may reconsider the 7mm-08, I was considering it mainly due to the availability of reduced recoil loads. I still have a lot of time to keep researching and looking, so any more advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
PM

I've got a Tikka T3 compact in .243 I'd sell you. Black stock with the blued barrel. Its got the box and the extended butt pad that you can change so you can shoot, then change for the shorter length of pull. It's got a Vortex HSLR 4-16x44 on it. It's never been out in the field. I've also got 3 boxes of factory hornady ammo I'd throw in.

This setup would cost you over $1,000 new with the rings. $700 its yours.

I sent you a PM. Thanks!

I was in your same shoes in 2015. My daughter didn't even weigh 80lbs and isn't much bigger now. I love the .243 (own one) but with elk on the list I would go with the 7mm-08 or a .308. While I think they're both great calibers, I personally ended up going with the .308. I liked the versatility in the ammunition. Specifically, I bought the Weatherby Vanguard compact. It has a Monte Carlo stock with a removable spacer (LOP 13 5/8" & 12.5") so she can grow into it. It's guaranteed to shoot sub 1" MOA out of the box. I was concerned about the recoil but with the pad the gun comes with she hasn't ever complained about it. For elk she shoots a 165gr Nosler Accubond, but do most target practice with 120gr light load or 150gr cheap federal. I've been really happy with it. She's hunted 2 years, taken 2 shots, & killed 2 elk.

Last edited:
I bought my older daughter a Vanguard in 243 several years ago, and purchased a youth-sized Hogue stock from Legacy Sports. It works very well for deer, and she has always been able to shoot it with no problem.

Last fall we were out shooting on our longer distance target area. It was just prior to her 18th birthday and she shot her 243, my 243, my 270 and then my 7mm Rem Sendero. No recoil issues with any of them, though she's a swimmer and all muscle.
I'd recommend doing the same - start small, and you can always swap the shorter stock onto a larger caliber rifle if you go for elk.

My younger daughter is much more recoil sensitive, and shoots a Savage Axis in 223. She doesn't even like shooting the 243, but for deer does just fine with her current rifle.

Here is the build we just did for my daughter (just turned 13 this week). Howa SA 1500 in 7-08, thumbhole stock from Boyd's and a Votex Crossfire in 3x9x50. The whole setup, including gunsmithing (full glass bed-free floating barrel) was just over $700. Hoping to shoot it with Hornady Custom Lite rounds this week.

Attachments

• kiki rifle.jpg
    kiki rifle.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 63
kryptel.jpg

Here is what I built for my 11 year old little boy, chambered in 6.8 SPC. He got his first deer in Nebraska with it. Very little recoil, and with 110 Accubonds, it is very effective. I would be confident up to cow elk at 200 yards or less. As he gets older, I may get him a larger bolt gun in 7mm-08 or something similar. If I get into reloading, I might look at one of the larger wildcat AR rounds, like 7mm Valkerie, we could build on this rifle. I've read that round is comparable to factory 7mm08 loads with 140gr bullets. One benefit to building an AR, done right with good components, its probably worth more than you have invested in it, plus you get to choose a combination of good components. Plus, its easy, I built it basically on the kitchen table, my only previous experience being 8 years in the Army :)

I think either rifle would suit you fine. Another option would be a Remington model 7 with a compact or youth stock. Both my daughters have those, one in .243, the other in 7mm-08. But both of mine have the 20 inch barrels instead of 18 1/2.

My oldest is 19 now and still barely tips the scales a little over 100 lbs. I reload so I've been able to come up with a good accurate, modest recoiling load with the Nosler 120 grain Ballistic Tip. It was good enough for her to take an Antelope a little over 300 yards.

A full load in a smaller, lighter 7mm-08 isn't terrible, buts it's no slouch either. Maybe start her off with some of the reduced recoil loads offered to see how she does. They're more than enough for deer and could pay off in the long run helping her be a better, more confident shot.

I agree with everything Lefty has said. I picked up a Model 7 in 7mm-08 for my son when he was 11. We started with reduced recoil loads the first year, then Nosler 120 Ballistic Tips after that. Great rifle, shoots well, and with the HS Precision stock I put on it, recoil has never been an issue. Will be loading some 140 Accubonds this year and possibly switching to these. Very happy with this set-up, zero regrets with it.

Amstaff

I think the 7mm-08 is the way to go. Much more versatile than the .243 in my mind, especially if you handload. Even if you don't, the reduced recoil loads are very light on the shoulder. She may be using this rifle into her teen years (and maybe beyond), so being able to shoot heavier bullets may be important down the road.

I shoot a 7mm-08 and have just worked up some reduced loads for my son. 145 grain bullets moving around 2400; basically a 30-30 with good BC. My step sister shoots a very light 7mm-08 and uses the Hornady 120 gr sst reduced loads. I think they go about 2600 and she loves them.

So many nice, compact rifles these days. It's all about price range and the features you're looking in.

Back