WY unit 1 pronghorn

jwilkstn

My cousin and I are planning the same thing in Unit 1. We have the same amount of experience as you, zero. Let me know if you want to compare notes. I have drawn up a few maps featuring which roads are county roads and where they cross state of BLM land. Let me know

I've done the same thing regarding the access points from country roads. What dates are y'all looking to go?

Don't underestimate the value of a good rangfinder. As a newbie you will likely have a tough time judging distance in wide open country. Also, I use a rangefinder to help plan stalks. In other words, if a buck is 800 yards and a rock between us is 500 I know I dont have to waste time ranging when I get to the rock. Flat land and sage brush wreak havoc on cheap rangfinders. Picture a flashlight on a table. The beam is not able to get back for quick accurate ranging much past 400.
Ebay has treated me and friends well for rangfinders. Take a look for leica crf rangfinders. Whatever the yardage is, it will range game at that. Unlike many others. Zeiss and swaros are just as good or better but more expensive.

I think you are probably ok on binos. Better glass will always help but that money can be spent elsewhere. I guess everyone has there style, but for me I spend way more time looking through binos than a spotter. They are a fun tool to have but a useful one is so expensive. Cheap spotters are pretty useless over 25x.

Well my buddy invested in a top notch rangefinder (I'm jealous) and I splurged on a spotter. Other than a few small accessories, we are set on gear.

Still looking for anyone with knowledge of the unit they'd be willing to share via PM.

Also, regarding strategy...if you have two days for scouting are you trying to learn/locate as many areas as possible or locate a couple nice herds and sit on them to pin down their patterns and keep other guys away?

Also, regarding strategy...if you have two days for scouting are you trying to learn/locate as many areas as possible or locate a couple nice herds and sit on them to pin down their patterns and keep other guys away?[/QUOTE]

Check as much of the area out as possible and look for some out of the ordinary bucks. However, if you're on public land sitting on them is probably not going to keep other hunters away as you put it!

Last edited:
Topgun Check as much of the area out as possible and look for some out of the ordinary bucks. However said:
Yeah guess I really mean to be in best position to go after them at first light on the opener. Personally, if another guy is already watching an animal I'm moving on and finding my own. I'd hope to receive that same courtesy, but I won't hold my breath.
Is it common for others to intentionally interfere?

That 12-13 inch buck is exactly what you want to leave for next year. The ears are about 6 inches so look for a buck with horns wider than the eye at the base and longer than twice the ears. Look for a 14 inch buck for a mature one.
Spotting scope with window mount can save lots of time in making a stalk at a small buck from the truck.

That 12-13 inch buck is exactly what you want to leave for next year. The ears are about 6 inches so look for a buck with horns wider than the eye at the base and longer than twice the ears. Look for a 14 inch buck for a mature one.
Spotting scope with window mount can save lots of time in making a stalk at a small buck from the truck.

Thank you

Maybe I have too little patience and low standards but some public land areas will have pretty few 14 inch bucks and 12-13 inch bucks will be a good representation. Do your homework and scout before and you'll know what is possible in that unit. I'm not disagreeing with wytex because he's right they should be left till next year but sometimes that's not an option for busy places on public land. If its a trespass hunt then yes wait for that buck for sure.

Yeah hopefully we can see enough animals while scouting to get an idea of what is available and realistic. I'll aim for a top 20% type buck if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back