WY unit 1 pronghorn

jwilkstn

Hey guys, long time follower but first time posting a question here.

A friend and I have been planning our first western hunt for this fall and think we have settled on unit 1. We don't have any points. We've talked to the local game warden a couple times and have studied the ownership map and cross-referenced it with the county road map. Obviously, access is an issue, but I am comfortable using my onX app and not afraid to walk. We're not looking for a trophy, and plan to get multiple doe tags. In fact, my buddy plans to only get doe tags.

I have a few random questions.
-Since I'm not looking for a trophy, is a spotting scope recommended? I have a nice tripod already, and a bino adapter, but I only run 8x32 binos here in Tennessee.
-My buddy is thinking about also trying to pick up a mule deer tag in that area. Is a combination trip worth pursuing?
-How likely is it that we'll see the kind of road conditions that prevents a 4wd pickup from traveling the open 2 tracks?
-I know all the NE WY units are similar, but does anyone have experience they'd be willing to share regarding this unit? Or thoughts on our planned selection of unit 1?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Jason

I meant to add that we are planning to get out there early to have two days to set up camp, be sure of access, and glass up some antelope.

Sounds like you are doing your homework and you can look forward to having a great trip!

I took a spotter on my first pronghorn trip last year. It was nice to have but I definitely used my bino's more. No need to go out and spent a huge amount on one unless you just want to. My thought is you'll want one at some point, might as well get it now.

If you have my luck, you'll see a lot more mule deer without a tag in your pocket. I'd save my money unless you think it's the only time he's coming out west. Plenty of fun to be had chasing pronghorn.

You've got til May to deside on a unit. Keep studying your maps and making phone calls.

Good Luck!

Have not hunted the area but have driven thru. There are bentonite mines in NE WY so I would guess the roads get slick as snot with a little rain. I'd be prepared for any road conditions. I'd also get some antelope doe tags along with your either sex tags. That will either make sure you get some meat or extend your hunt past a day

I like a spotter to make darn sure I'm shooting a doe not a small buck, I'm always nervous. As for a deer tag, if money isn't too tight yea why not get a deer tag I will be from now on. Roads are hit and miss, one day I had a road I couldn't get up without chains "probable could have but I only had 18,000 miles on the truck" other than that one road though everything else was sloppy but ok to drive on.

Goat

More powerful binos or a spotter are a good idea, 10x42 binos. Like stated above make sure it's not a young buck instead of a doe. While you're not after a"trophy" IMO don't shoot a really young buck, they are the trophies of the future. Pick a mature buck regardless of his horn size. If the roads are too slick for a 4x4 truck an atv won't work either. You'll have to wait out the sloppiness. Most days the wind blows so roads can dry out fast. And get some doe tags, 2 in initial draw and 2 more in leftover if possible.

Never hunted there but here is my advice. I'm not sure what binos you have but buy the best you can afford. I prefer 8x40s because that is what I use at home. Most guys in the west seem to like 10x so flip a coin. I ha always taken a spotter but usually don't take it with me till I've tagged out and am helping buddies. A bino upgrade is more useful than a spotter. I'd take that money and invest in shoes and an good rangefinder. I prefer leica, they're the cheapest of the high end rangefinders.

Again no experience but I beleive that area to be more of a whitetail area than mule deer. Check and see before you spend money hoping to get a mulie. Also this is just my opinion. If this is your first trip you have enough to learn with one new species much less two. If you tag out early, including doe tags, thats not such a bad thing. Another expensive tag may put pressure you don't need. But every person is different so do what you think. I'm a pessimist so I only opt for one tag.

As mentioned all of the NE WY units pretty much play out the same.

I have quit carrying a spotting scope for Antelope while hunting on foot, I think its only useful if you are really trying to find an 82" buck. A spotting scope means 3 lbs of spotting scope and 5 lbs of tripod to make it worth your while. Unlike mule deer, antelope are very easy to spot even with the naked eye if they are on their feet with the sun out so powerful optics don't do a lot. What hides antelope are small terrain features rather than blending into their surroundings.

I can't imagine going antelope hunting without a spotting scope, tripod, and window mount, regardless of trophy hunting or not.

While you're not after a"trophy" IMO don't shoot a really young buck, they are the trophies of the future. Pick a mature buck regardless of his horn size.

Great point. That's what I'm after here hunting whitetails and I know it when I see it. So what should I look for with pronghorn? We hope to load up on does, but I'd love to bring home a good representative of the species for the wall as well. Can you age them by body characteristics like you would a deer? Or what is a good average size horn to put a stalk on?

Regarding optics... I've had cheap 8x32's, 10x42's, and 10x50's and finally sold all of them to get a pair of Vortex Talon HD 8x32's awhile back. If I lived in more open country I would certainly have opted for the 10x instead. My take on it with what I have and what I want to do is get by with the 8x and add a 65mm spotter or 15x binos. In other words, I'll probably skip the 10x binos at least until I have something really high power to use out west. Just debating getting something now, and what to buy...

I have a cheap Bushnell rangefinder. Won't be upgrading it until I have the other optics covered.

Last edited:
Double the height of the ear means a 12-13" buck which is by most accounts a representative adult buck is a good place to start. After you scout for a day or so you get a pretty good idea what is around.

Regarding optics... I've had cheap 8x32's, 10x42's, and 10x50's and finally sold all of them to get a pair of Vortex Talon HD 8x32's awhile back. If I lived in more open country I would certainly have opted for the 10x instead. My take on it with what I have and what I want to do is get by with the 8x and add a 65mm spotter or 15x binos. In other words, I'll probably skip the 10x binos at least until I have something really high power to use out west. Just debating getting something now, and what to buy...

I have a cheap Bushnell rangefinder. Won't be upgrading it until I have the other optics covered.

Don't underestimate the value of a good rangfinder. As a newbie you will likely have a tough time judging distance in wide open country. Also, I use a rangefinder to help plan stalks. In other words, if a buck is 800 yards and a rock between us is 500 I know I dont have to waste time ranging when I get to the rock. Flat land and sage brush wreak havoc on cheap rangfinders. Picture a flashlight on a table. The beam is not able to get back for quick accurate ranging much past 400.
Ebay has treated me and friends well for rangfinders. Take a look for leica crf rangfinders. Whatever the yardage is, it will range game at that. Unlike many others. Zeiss and swaros are just as good or better but more expensive.

I think you are probably ok on binos. Better glass will always help but that money can be spent elsewhere. I guess everyone has there style, but for me I spend way more time looking through binos than a spotter. They are a fun tool to have but a useful one is so expensive. Cheap spotters are pretty useless over 25x.

Don't underestimate the value of a good rangfinder. As a newbie you will likely have a tough time judging distance in wide open country. Also, I use a rangefinder to help plan stalks. In other words, if a buck is 800 yards and a rock between us is 500 I know I dont have to waste time ranging when I get to the rock. Flat land and sage brush wreak havoc on cheap rangfinders. Picture a flashlight on a table. The beam is not able to get back for quick accurate ranging much past 400.
Ebay has treated me and friends well for rangfinders. Take a look for leica crf rangfinders. Whatever the yardage is, it will range game at that. Unlike many others. Zeiss and swaros are just as good or better but more expensive.

I think you are probably ok on binos. Better glass will always help but that money can be spent elsewhere. I guess everyone has there style, but for me I spend way more time looking through binos than a spotter. They are a fun tool to have but a useful one is so expensive. Cheap spotters are pretty useless over 25x.

Thank you

I use 8x42 binoculars.

Spotters are great especially for window mount for figuring out property lines. If you're hunting with a partner where you're trading stalks they also can keep the "off" guy entertained as well as aloe him to direct the "on" guy from afar as to where the pronghorn are.

jwilkstn

My cousin and I are planning the same thing in Unit 1. We have the same amount of experience as you, zero. Let me know if you want to compare notes. I have drawn up a few maps featuring which roads are county roads and where they cross state of BLM land. Let me know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back