Vortex Viper HD 10x42 vs Leupold BX-3 Mojave Pro Guide HD 10x42

SDS14

I am in the market to buy a new pair of binoculars in the $500-$600 range. I have my eyes set on the either the Vortex Viper HD or Leupold Mojave HD, both 10x42. I was hoping to hear your guys feedback on both of these binoculars. Specifically durability, waterproof, foggy lenses, lenses quality, or any other information that is good to know. Please don't turn this thread into a plug for "Vortex Unconditional Warranty", I strictly care about the quality of the binoculars itself. Please also share any other brand of binoculars that you like/prefer, that fits in the $500-$600 range.

Thanks for your help.

-SDS14

If you use your gear as a tool and not a showpiece, it will eventually need repair. That's when Customer Service becomes a factor that should way in for your descion. In the three major issues I have had with a Luepold product, I had a very negative experience there. Long wait time for them to call me back, 2-4 weeks on turnaround, and a general "try all of this before you send it in" attiude. In contrast, in the 2 issues I have had with Vortex, I was able to speak directly with someone nearly immediately, there was no hassle, just send it in. Within 2 weeks it was back. My last issue was in the middle of Sheep season. so 10 days vs 14 is a big deal. Vortex's customer service won hands down.

I can't say anything bad about my Vipers, and not enough good.

(Also if you are LEO or military, they will do 40% off MSRP. Leupold will not.)

I've had one Vortex product. It was broken out of the box. Keep the CS number handy. mtmuley

I defiantly will use it as a tool. The reason I said don't give a plug for Vortex warranty is because 99.9% of the time I go to the optic counter at Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse (at least in Utah) the workers compare warranties rather than quality of the binoculars. I hear it from my friends all the time that they buy Vortex because of the warranty, it's like quality and durability go out the window.

I have the Vipers and have been very happy with them, no issues of any kind. Between my sons and I, we have many binos, scopes and spotters from Vortex; none of them have ever needed the warranty, but I hear very good things about the warranty. I've never used the Mojave binos, but have had good luck with multiple rifle scopes and a Gold Ring spotter from Leupold. I wouldn't shy away from either company. Go to the sports store about dusk some evening and take the binos in question outside of the store and see if one impresses you more.

Our local sporting goods dealer rams Vortex down your throat. Even if you request looking at another optic, it's always "but the Vortex Warranty...." It's like there is some sort of insentive program for the store employees to sell Vortex optics. Besides, the Leupold warranty, and others I'm sure, is equal anyway. I don't have any experience with the newer Leupolds, but I have the Pinnacles in 10x42 that I've hunted hard with for about 14 years now. No issues. As far as CS, my experience is the opposite if 406Life. I've only sent one product back to Leupold for repair. The damage was my fault and I needed the scope back ASAP. Leupold rushed my scope through to get it back in time for a hunt I was leaving for. Watch camofire. They had a killer deal on the Zeiss Conquests the other day. mtmuley

Last edited:
I have the Mojave pro guide hd in 10-42 and absolutely love them. I can't comment on the vortex as I have never looked through them but the leupolds are far superior to my Nikon monarchs. They are a very nice piece of equipment.

I have a pair of Viper HD's in 10x42. I have been a diehard Leupold fan for years, and still am. I use a pair of Leupold 8x42's in the timber and the Vipers out in big open country. At the time I didn't think Leupold was making a comparable set of binos to the Viper HD's, as they had discontinued the Gold Ring line of binos. So I went the Vortex route.

I absolutely love the Viper HD's, but I also love the older Gold Ring binos. As far as warranty goes, I've only sent one scope back and one base for a set of rings that was cracked in the package. My dealings with Leupold customer service was beyond exceptional.

I haven't looked at the new Leupolds lately but my buddies son just got a new pair and he loves them. If you have any stores that carry both, see if the sales person will let you get to a door to look outside. I can tell the difference between crap and good glass inside, but when the quality is close its alot easier to pick out the little differences outdoors, especially if it is getting dark.

I bought a pair of the leupolds from randy when he had his big Bino sale on here a few years ago. I really like them, they have been my go to's now and I have had zero problems. I would buy another pair in a heartbeat if these failed. They are great

I've thought about starting this same thread, as these are the two models I've been considering myself. I currently have an older pair of 10x50 Leupold Green Ring BX2s that are decent, but not amazing by any means. My dad has the Vipers, which are noticeably brighter and clearer than what I've got. They seem pretty damn nice, but I've never spent a whole day behind them.

I've looked through both the Mojave HDs and the Vipers in Cabelas, but inside the store, it's hard to tell the difference. Both feel really solid and well made. I'd really like to see what the Leupolds are like at low light. Can anyone speak to the brightness and clarity of the Mojave HDs in different conditions--like low light or glassing toward the rising/setting sun? I've noticed that my current binos get pretty washed out when facing in the direction of a low sun, especially when looking into shaded canyons. My dad's Vipers do a lot better, but there is still some of that washing out/glare that comes with those conditions.

I guess I'm really wondering if I should spring for one of these two models this year, or hunt with my current pair and continue to save with the eventual goal of getting one of the real high end binos--Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Vortex Razor, etc. Also looking forward to hearing more about the new premium Leupolds that Big Fin was hinting at a couple months ago...

I have the regular Mojave BX-3 10X42. I really like them. Drug them all over for the last year and had no problems. Heat, cold, rough country. Plenty bright at low light, but I do have some issues with facing the sun early. Not sure how much better an HD binocular would handle it. Not much of an issue because I tend not to set up to glass into the morning sun.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the HD pair at this point.

I have sent a couple things back to Leupold with no real expectations. The way they treated me earned them a lifelong customer. Above and beyond customer service.

Just so you know, MidwayUSA has the Mojave BX-3 Pro Guide HD's on clearance for $370.

I picked up the Vortex Talon HDs on Camofire for $279 a while back. They have been discontinued, but I think they still show up on there from time to time as well. I believe they were in the ~$600 range when they were new. They are great so far!

I just got my Pro Guides in. They are very nice. Diopter is difficult to set. But other than that they are the best optics in my quiver.

I must say tho, I've been unhappy w my Prostaff 7s Nikons and looking to replace for a while. These Leupolds are better but considering I paid $180 for the Nikons, they are twice as good. The edge performance is noticeably better which is what I wanted. So I'm happy with them. I wouldn't pay MSRP

UPDATE
Okay, I just went out with better lighting and the Leupolds were significantly better than the Nikons. Definitely good glass for $370

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back