iPhone or Droid or ?

teej89

My iPhone5 is about to kick the bucket, my biggest complaint about the iPhone, it dies as soon as it gets exposed to the cold. With that being said... how's the battery life on the Droid? My day to day life I don't do anything on my phone other than email, text, web, and calls. So my main use for a phone is good pictures and good battery life. I love the OnXmaps app except for the fact my iPhone dies so fast in the colder weather.

iPhone vs Droid vs ?, lets hear it.

Spot and stalk vs baiting.
My Samsung Android does the same.
When it's fully charged it will quit working below freezing. If I put it in my pocket for a while it will start working again.

I've never owned an iPhone...tons of friends and family do. I feel a lot of app development starts on iPhone and makes its way to android. I feel like if you're a texting/social person iPhone is the way to go but if you're a guy that wants power android seems to release more powerful phones first. In the end they are the same when you're looking at mapping apps. Battery life is subjective...turning off a lot of apps and going to airplane mode fixes a lot. My Samsung S7 (not the explosive one) has an ultrapower save mode and I can turn it into just a phone which will last 3-4 days. The second you mess with apps & gps you're down to a day max with most systems.

like the guys said before it's a chevy v ford deal but either one is way better than dodge ;-)

Last edited:
My wife has a Galaxy 7 and I just got an IPhone SE. Different stuff, but operationally both pretty good. Cold is not good on high-tech batteries.

I had a number of Android phones and currently have an iPhone 6 that is getting replaced fairly soon. My biggest complaint is also with the battery issue - the phone has shut off with supposedly 85%+ battery left and refused to turn on until plugged in. Other times it will last for well over a day and a half with no problem. I had one instance where it lived on 1% for 6 hours. It drives me crazy that I can't rely on what the phone is telling me it has left. I still miss having a dedicated "back" button that is present on all android phones. I'm also annoyed that I can't make it default to google maps whenever I click on an address, and apple maps is significantly worse. The apple keyboard drives me crazy and my phone doesn't seem to play well with third party ones.

Android has its own issues. My experience is that the core software is fine, but a lot of the apps can be buggy.

Other thoughts on Android: I like that you can get some models with enormous batteries. I like that many models have microSD card slots so that you can expand the storage. I like that many producers of these phones have't ditched 3.5mm headphone jacks yet (though some have dropped this jack).

To be honest though, I feel like phones have been fairly well commoditized. Both groups do fairly similar things and are both very capable devices.

I'm a Droid guy (most likely because of the old dog-new trick adage), I do like the back button and the ability to throw in a new micro SD card when memory is full and the wife is incapable of deleting any of the thousands of videos and pics of the grandkids. It really comes down to personal preference.

I'm a Droid guy (most likely because of the old dog-new trick adage), I do like the back button and the ability to throw in a new micro SD card when memory is full and the wife is incapable of deleting any of the thousands of videos and pics of the grandkids. It really comes down to personal preference.

Agreed.

I have both.
IMO droid has more pluses for hunters
Memory chip for photos and video
Removable battery/option to buy extra batteries
More models to choose from
Back button is nice

I'm sure I am in the minority on this but if my old flip phone still worked I would still be using it. I have no use or need for a computer in my pocket. I have the next best thing to an old fashioned flip phone. Yes I still read paper magazines and real books.
th (1).jpeg

I've always had iPhones (currently an SE) and have been happy. I'm also a Mac user so I do like the integration. Pretty much any electronic device stinks in cold weather, even my eTrex gps. Regarding battery life, it's best to not charge phones until they hit under 5%. If you always charge your phone at say 30%, batteries can develop a memory and start to shut down at 30%. I have a Lifeproof case on my phone now that is pretty bomber. With cached onXMaps and in airplane mode I can get 3-4 days of battery life.

I have both.
IMO droid has more pluses for hunters
Memory chip for photos and video
Removable battery/option to buy extra batteries
More models to choose from
Back button is nice

I was just thinking why haven't they created this for a phone yet, I didn't realize the droid has a removable battery, that would be a great thing to have!

Sorry this thread got away from me, I think with the removable battery and micro SD on the droid I'm about sold on it. Going to head into AT&T soon to check them out.

I hear a company is bringing back the nokia brick... so I mean if you just want to make calls and text. That said battery will last a month and it costs $40.

I was just thinking why haven't they created this for a phone yet, I didn't realize the droid has a removable battery, that would be a great thing to have!

Sorry this thread got away from me, I think with the removable battery and micro SD on the droid I'm about sold on it. Going to head into AT&T soon to check them out.

for almost all my western states hunts my Verizon signal is way better than my pals att signal. YMMV

Not all of them have removable batteries, but some is better than the zero phones with removable batteries from Apple.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back