Caribou Gear Tarp

High alpine mule deer... What makes them tick?

Sjackson

High alpine deer hunts have captured my imagination since I was in my early 20's (about the same time I exited the military and actually began hunting deer.) I grew up in a family that didn't hunt, but still had a passionate love for the outdoors. My summers were filled with backpacking trips through some California's most scenic terrain. These high altitude basins and timber lines are part of the reason I'd like to learn more about about stalking, glassing and learning the high altitude mule deer 2step, I just gravitate to that type of topography.

I've never hunted deer at these altitudes. Why do the deer come to these places. Why are these areas attractive to summer range big bucks? Temperature? Solitude? Lack of pressure? Are buck numbers usually low in these areas? But is age class usually better?

I know there is no substitute for getting out there and learning on my own. Was only looking for insight into the generalities and specifics of this type of hunting. Any and all information shared would be greatly appreciated. Shoot straight and God Bless America and our public land. Thanks

Bucks gravitate to the alpine during summer - early fall. They do so for a number of reasons: high slopes green up fast (food), cooler during hot days, more breezes to keep bugs at bay, easier to watch for predators, consistent thermal action (predator control, again). As the rut (or heavy snow fall) approaches, they leave the heights in search of does - at lower elevations. When it comes to snow fall (prior to the rut) the bigger, older bucks will be the last to leave the alpine.

Wyoming reg.F muleys

My son and I drew elk tags in northwest part of elk unit 51 above sunlight.Would any one suggest a deer combo attempt in the reg.F ? Looks like might be better numbers of deer south of our elk area, but may be close enough drive or possibly a good back up for no show elk.
Any one close to there or have hunt exp. to share would be great.
Thanks to all of you that post or PM on this sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back