Any way to hunt Texas hogs for free?

PoWdA

My buddy and I are considering a hog hunt this summer to get some meat in the freezer. We are from Colorado and would be driving out. We can pay some place to let us hunt their hogs (probably released from a cage that morning), but from what I understand hogs are a nuisance down there and some ranches actually pay people to kill hogs for them (correct me if I am wrong on that).

Anyway, I am not looking to get paid, but has anyone had any luck with getting a place to let you hunt their land for free? Are there public places to get hogs anywhere (we are not stuck on Texas)? We will likely go whether we have to pay or not, but it would be pretty sweet to go get a hog and not pay for the privilege.

Has anyone done this? Any advice? Is this at all doable or should we just pony up the dough?

I Have heard all these stories too but never actually found a free place. I Would pm a contact for a guy though that I would recommend if you want a diy type hunt

I've hunted hogs in Texas and the hardest thing about it is finding a rancher that will let you hunt. Most of them are really leary about having strangers running around on their property when they have thousands of dollars of beef running around. The best way is to try make contact with a rancher ahead of time and offer some manual labor in exchange. If you have an area in mind call the local feed stores and ag supply stores. Ranchers chat like church women so they'll know who's been having hog problems and who to get you in touch with.

Summer time hogs can be very nocturnal, night hunting works best for them when it's hot. You will not find a free hunt, probably , but many reasonably priced hunts can be found. Lots of hogs all over the state, but NW Texas is getting known now for some great hunting. Look up some places along the Red River for a closer drive. Took this young sow tonight, 60 lbs and not yet a year old, but was nursing young.DSCN0668.jpg An outfitter or guide with night vision would be a blast.

Generally speaking I think there are tons of people who let hunters cull pigs on their land for free, that said no one is going to post online to the general public "hey bring your buddies and your guns and run around on my place". Can you even imagine the idiots you would have showing up on your doorstep.

Honestly I think your best bet would be to call the state fish and game and ask if they have had complaints from landowners and if you could have those landowners contact info, and then politely contact these individuals and ask permission. Might even help if you were willing to do some work around the ranch for a day or two and show that you are a decent person who respects them and their property.

This poison stuff will never be safe and even though we now have hogs on our Lease I would never allow it to be used. Now that doesn't mean that 2 miles away Joe Blow won't set it out. Just too risky. What about the Black Bears that come though? John

Thanks everyone! We just want to hunt hogs. I am not a fan of "canned hunts." If there are feral pigs, I just want a crack at one. I like the ideas of talking to feed stores and asking the state fish and game office where they are getting complaints and reaching out that way. If nothing else, we will end up paying some crazy amount to go shoot a nuisance animal, but I would love to try getting into some hogs for free first.

We hunt family land and know many landowners, generally speaking you will not find many if any who do not know you who will let you hunt for free. Most landowners want people who know how to hunt them if they are not guided. Hogs are very smart and inefficient hunting pressure only exasperates the problem. They learn fast and will vacate a particular areas for days if shot at, only to put the problem in another pasture. Doesn't take much to push them nocturnal. Google feral hog hunts and do some research, there are some ranches that offer good deals. Stand hunting will not be as productive, but does work in some instances. A ranch with a big problem will charge less and do everything they can to make your hunt successful. Some public land to hunt, but again pressure from hunters makes them very wary and nocturnal. You can get a good hunt for about $750 if you shop around. Mention that you want hogs for meat and not just a big boar and that makes a difference to some outfitters and ranchers.

We hunt family land and know many landowners, generally speaking you will not find many if any who do not know you who will let you hunt for free. Most landowners want people who know how to hunt them if they are not guided. Hogs are very smart and inefficient hunting pressure only exasperates the problem. They learn fast and will vacate a particular areas for days if shot at, only to put the problem in another pasture. Doesn't take much to push them nocturnal. Google feral hog hunts and do some research, there are some ranches that offer good deals. Stand hunting will not be as productive, but does work in some instances. A ranch with a big problem will charge less and do everything they can to make your hunt successful. Some public land to hunt, but again pressure from hunters makes them very wary and nocturnal. You can get a good hunt for about $750 if you shop around. Mention that you want hogs for meat and not just a big boar and that makes a difference to some outfitters and ranchers.

$750? The outfitter I talked to at the Colorado sportsmans expo were $350-$450ish. Still, paying to kill a nuisance just doesn't feel right.

It's very tough if you're not from the area or know somebody, but I think it can be done. I hunt hogs and predators on a handful of places for free, but I grew up in a town of about 2,000 people, and my family has lived in the area for generations. The tough part is that country boys like to hunt hogs too and are local, so they have a leg up on you. I would focus on areas at least 30mins to an hour of areas outside major metro areas. The larger the metro area the farther out you will need to go. I would contact feed stores, tractor repair shops, county extension agents, and the local game warden. (The game wardens will likely point you to the sparse public land opportunities we have though.) I would start with the county extension agents first because they have good relationships with local land owners, and probably have a good idea of who has hog problems. If an area is "known" for hunting then your chances of finding a free hunt is really sparse since the area probably has learned how to make money on hunters. (See Brady, TX) Feel free to PM me if you have questions.20150124_175008.jpg20150125_101646-1.jpg

Last edited:
Texas is miserably hot in the summer, even at night.

The only way to get a free hog hunt is if you know someone that has a ranch and trusts you.

Try New Mexico. They have a feral hog population they'd like to get rid off. Close to Colorado and far more public land than Texas. Check out the NMDGF or just google "feral hogs new mexico".

From the NMDGF website:

Hunting this alien invader is encouraged.

Feral hogs damage habitat, contaminate water and compete with native wildlife. Because of the negative impact this non-native intruder causes, residents and nonresidents legally may hunt feral hogs year-round without a license. General hunting rules still apply—such as obtaining permission if hunting on private land, no hunting with the aid of an artificial light and no discharging of firearms within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling.

Read the New Mexico Wildlife article “Hogs gone wild”.Icon of Volume-56 Number-4 Winter 2011-2012 Volume-56 Number-4 Winter 2011-2012

Feral hogs should not be confused with javelina, which look similar but are a protected game species. Javelina are smaller than feral hogs and do not have a tail. Javelina also have a white stripe of hair near the shoulders and neck, giving them the common name collared peccary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back