Yeti GOBOX Collection

Any way to hunt Texas hogs for free?

That's the plan, hopefully the HPA passes so I don't have to wait a year and pay for the tax stamp to get it.

I agree. I just got two a few weeks back. They were not legal in Iowa until April of last year and I ordered them a day later. Took 9 months to get the stamp. It is fun. The blackout with 220 grain subs is stupid quite, but I hear they don't kill well and most still shoot supers.

There are places here that charge a trespass fee to ride your ATV. Or you can join a club and pay dues and they pay to lease places to go ride your ATV.

Very limited options on just going out for a hike without trespassing on someone's land.

Ah Texas if your hunting is so great, I hear you have elk, (and kudu and tigers and bears) and public lands are so awful why do I see hordes of your license plates going up and down I-25 to hunt CO, WY, and MT

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/environment/article64362377.html

Looking at my best friends plates in my driveway right now, love the people and the food, just don't care for the game management regulations and the public lands sentiments Texas won't be getting my hunting dollars.

Try New Mexico. They have a feral hog population they'd like to get rid off. Close to Colorado and far more public land than Texas. Check out the NMDGF or just google "feral hogs new mexico".

From the NMDGF website:

Hunting this alien invader is encouraged.

Feral hogs damage habitat, contaminate water and compete with native wildlife. Because of the negative impact this non-native intruder causes, residents and nonresidents legally may hunt feral hogs year-round without a license. General hunting rules still apply—such as obtaining permission if hunting on private land, no hunting with the aid of an artificial light and no discharging of firearms within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling.

Read the New Mexico Wildlife article “Hogs gone wild”.Icon of Volume-56 Number-4 Winter 2011-2012 Volume-56 Number-4 Winter 2011-2012

Feral hogs should not be confused with javelina, which look similar but are a protected game species. Javelina are smaller than feral hogs and do not have a tail. Javelina also have a white stripe of hair near the shoulders and neck, giving them the common name collared peccary.
Thank you prhunter for the info. We were about to "book" a hunt in eastern AZ. But are now checking about NM..

How did I miss this post? This sounds awesome. I am not stuck on going to Texas, I just want some hog meat in the freezer at the lowest price possible. I need to do more research on New Mexico hog!

Here you go, Sounds like a deal to me. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...-kill-fee-no-weight-fee-hog-hunts#Post8108735
Wondering how many of you guys knocking Texas find easy access up here for hunting ? Access fees are common all over the country.
Family has hogs and problems with them but whining gets you no access. Plenty of folks willing to pay to help offset the costs associated with repairing their damage and finding access on neighbor's land, not an issue.

If you would like to stay in Colorado consider hunting the Arkansas River valley. There are populations of hogs there now. Start door knocking on the mellon farms along the river and see what pops up. With all the irrigation fields along the river there are great wildlife buffers and return ditches that offer great hunting opportunities. We have had a blast doing this for the last 4 years. Not gigantic hogs or hog populations but they are there if your willing to look. Also we have only been turned down access once, because they were harvesting pumpkins and had equipment and people all over the fields. But we got a call a week later saying it was "Weapons Free".
Start along Highway 50 and move east from Boone.

Thank you prhunter for the info. We were about to "book" a hunt in eastern AZ. But are now checking about NM..
I took a drive out to eastern NM along the Pecos river over the holiday break with this same idea in mind. I have seen 2 hogs on BLM once 2 years ago right next to the highway while passing through White's City (near Carlsbad). This was just a day trip mostly concerned with access in the area and hopefully some obvious sign. Access wasn't an issue at all. I did find some maybe sign near the river, nothing too promising though. The Pecos always has water in that area because of the reservoir north of Carlsbad so I was hoping that would concentrate any population. Given the incredibly dry year we have had down here, it appears to me that hope was in vain. I think the area just north of the Texas border in eastern New Mexico is one of the places in the state that has the most potential to hold hogs, I don't think it is right now though.

I will add the caveat that I have never taken a hog yet, and the only ones I've ever seen on public ground were those two I saw when I was driving past. Good luck whatever you decide.

Check the bodies of water for Corps of Engineers land. In many cases the COE owns up to the high water mark which leave some huntable land in some good spots that most don't know about. They will have maps in many cases.

Here is one for Lake Texoma.

If you have any contacts in Oklahoma there's plenty of good hog hunting here. I hunt on a 110 acre piece that belongs to a guy I know from church and it's crawling with them. I killed a sow on Saturday with my new 300 BO build
View attachment 69079
Im actually from OK. Around the Guthrie area. Been thinking about just going back home to hunt. Own some land in Noble county. Heard they have a hog problem. Gonna take some friends from Flagstaff come spring

Never been hunting, but hogs are the main game I want to hunt! Ive come across deer hunters in TN only so far :/

Back