Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Any way to hunt Texas hogs for free?

WMAs in the southeast. I just did a hunt in Alabama, total cost was $60 (small game license and WMA permit). I drove and buddies paid for fuel (about a tank each).

It's tough where I hunt though. In the last 3 years I've hiked around 100 miles and killed 3 hogs. The land is hilly and wooly. I'd say it's similar in difficulty to most of the elk and deer hunts I've done out west.

WMAs in the southeast. I just did a hunt in Alabama, total cost was $60 (small game license and WMA permit). I drove and buddies paid for fuel (about a tank each).

It's tough where I hunt though. In the last 3 years I've hiked around 100 miles and killed 3 hogs. The land is hilly and wooly. I'd say it's similar in difficulty to most of the elk and deer hunts I've done out west.

This is what I am talking about. Thanks for this feedback!

www.dosplumashuntingranch.com one of the most affordable places in Texas to hunt hogs.
Nothing is "let out of a trap the morning of the hunt" either. They stock the hell out of the ranch with pigs, so you will have opportunities. Plus in the summer, they know how nocturnal the hogs are, so they allow night hunting and have lights on all the feeders.....;)

Pay hunts are not too expensive. I'm going next week to a place referred to me on this forum. Cost is only about $450 per man + $48 license & travel for two full days of hunting, lodging with kitchen facilities provided, and a helper / guide to show our party of four around, help butcher, retrieve, transport us in the field, etc. Never been to the place but it looks like their main thing is deer hunting, and they bring guys in during the off season to help reduce hog numbers a bit. Looking forward to it.

I was fortunate enough to be a member on a site with a lot of guys from Texas. I wanted to take my boys down their to go hog hunting. I posted a website pay to play place and I had several members on the site contact me about hunting with them. We went down and only killed one hog but the boys missed a few more. It was a great experience and my boys were bummed that we didn't go down again this year.

With that we stopped at a little hardware store to pick up a cooler. Got to talking to a local guy there and he invited us to come hunt his place if we wanted to. I guess you could go down there and try to get friendly but it would be a long shot.

Try New Mexico. They have a feral hog population they'd like to get rid off. Close to Colorado and far more public land than Texas. Check out the NMDGF or just google "feral hogs new mexico".

From the NMDGF website:

Hunting this alien invader is encouraged.

Feral hogs damage habitat, contaminate water and compete with native wildlife. Because of the negative impact this non-native intruder causes, residents and nonresidents legally may hunt feral hogs year-round without a license. General hunting rules still apply—such as obtaining permission if hunting on private land, no hunting with the aid of an artificial light and no discharging of firearms within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling.

Read the New Mexico Wildlife article “Hogs gone wild”.Icon of Volume-56 Number-4 Winter 2011-2012 Volume-56 Number-4 Winter 2011-2012

Feral hogs should not be confused with javelina, which look similar but are a protected game species. Javelina are smaller than feral hogs and do not have a tail. Javelina also have a white stripe of hair near the shoulders and neck, giving them the common name collared peccary.

How did I miss this post? This sounds awesome. I am not stuck on going to Texas, I just want some hog meat in the freezer at the lowest price possible. I need to do more research on New Mexico hog!

How did I miss this post? This sounds awesome. I am not stuck on going to Texas, I just want some hog meat in the freezer at the lowest price possible. I need to do more research on New Mexico hog!
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I'm confused now. Doing some research, it looks like it is always open season on hogs in New Mexico and the only restriction I see is no night hunting. Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?

Maybe the fact that there aren't very many pigs in New Mexico? Especially on public land. I've heard of a few people killing one here and there, but if you are actively hunting for pigs in New Mexico on public land you are going to spend a long time to find one.

If you have any contacts in Oklahoma there's plenty of good hog hunting here. I hunt on a 110 acre piece that belongs to a guy I know from church and it's crawling with them. I killed a sow on Saturday with my new 300 BO build
20170318_083752.jpg

Last edited:
The few "HOGS" that are here are in someones corn crib or wearing lipstick. Sometime back a helicopter hunt was done, according to a reliable source, and most of them removed. There may be some near the Oklahoma-Texas panhandle or down in the SE corner of the state. If they, "feral pigs", were in abundance anywhere in New Mexico I would be hunting for them instead of sitting here at this keyboard.

Why would a person have to pay a trespass fee to kill a feral species like a hog? I've never encountered a landowner that would expect me to pay a trespass fee to shoot some coyotes or prairie dogs. I'm sure they are out there, but I have yet to encounter one. They apparently don't want to get rid of them that bad.

Why would a person have to pay a trespass fee to kill a feral species like a hog? I've never encountered a landowner that would expect me to pay a trespass fee to shoot some coyotes or prairie dogs. I'm sure they are out there, but I have yet to encounter one. They apparently don't want to get rid of them that bad.

Have you been to Texas lately?

I can hook you up with some places for some pay to play predator hunting and prairie dog shooting. Wasn't there a guy from North Dakota trying to promote a coyote hunting prairie dog shooting operation a while back?

Have you been to Texas lately?

I can hook you up with some places for some pay to play predator hunting and prairie dog shooting. Wasn't there a guy from North Dakota trying to promote a coyote hunting prairie dog shooting operation a while back?

That's what I was getting at, two different worlds. I wonder how that business venture turned out for him.

There are places here that charge a trespass fee to ride your ATV. Or you can join a club and pay dues and they pay to lease places to go ride your ATV.

Very limited options on just going out for a hike without trespassing on someone's land.

Because people are willing to pay it.

If you have any contacts in Oklahoma there's plenty of good hog hunting here. I hunt on a 110 acre piece that belongs to a guy I know from church and it's crawling with them. I killed a sow on Saturday with my new 300 BO build
View attachment 69079

You need to get a suppressor on that bad boy! This is what I built for my boys to use when we went.

That's the plan, hopefully the HPA passes so I don't have to wait a year and pay for the tax stamp to get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back