Wyoming "Cultivated Cropland" Question

jmveverka

While this is not a "hot topic" I had a Wyoming public land question that should be easy to answer, but I could not find additional information anywhere. My question is, Is there a definition of "Cultivated Cropland" for the Wyoming state land hunting prohibition? My assumption is that if it has row crops it is closed, but would all land with a pivot be considered cultivated? Maybe because I am in the east and not a farmer, but I just don't want to violate any access rules. I plan to call the warden one more time about road access in a few spots but thought I would check here on the cropland issue.

Also, if only a portion of the state land is cultivated, can I hunt the rest of it? ie, can I walk around the outside of the pivot and hunt or is the whole square closed?

Thanks for any help.
Example:
Wyoming Pivot-Stateland.jpg

Josh

Last edited:
Good question. From what I've seen on the state land map is it's done by square mile regardless of the pivot size. But I haven't found a definitive answer

Have you looked at the Wyoming state lands access map, Office of State lands and Investments, it may show that section with the pivot and if it is open. If it doesn't I would call them and ask about cultivated crops. I would think only the pivot would be off limits if it has cultivated or planted crops on it.

From the research that I've done, if a section has any crops, its likely that the entire section is off-limits to recreation.

This is another issue that the Wyoming BHA chapter is going to take on in the near future.

What the WYBHA board has discussed is trying to work with the OSLI to perhaps allow seasonal access to these sections for WALK IN hunting. I personally thinks its crap that walk in hunting is not allowed.

I also agree that the remainder of a section that is not under cultivation should be open year round for any form of recreation, but under current regulations, that is not the case.

Keep in mind that these closures are not in statute, but simply OSLI regulations...sometimes these regulations, like a full diaper, are simply in need of a good changing.

Last edited:
JMV

When you talk to the warden, ask him what statute or regulation he would write on you if a lessee turned you in for hunting on state lands that are cultivated. Ask him to be specific and if he gives you one , please post it back on here.

I think the warden will tell you he can not write tickets for a OSLI regulation.
Thanks for clarification Buzz, I could not find the regulation as written online.
I have had a warden tell me that he could not write a ticket on another OSLI regulation I asked about, so maybe it is hard to enforce.
Sounds like another good reg for Buzz and BHA to take on as stated.
Interested to hear what the warden may say also.

We were hunting antelope out of Douglas a few years back and encountered some state land that was being used for alfalfa. We figured our GPS chip was wrong and just moved along even though there were goats there. If you have ever hunted out of Douglas near that large ranch they have down there, you have likely seen the local ranch watchman observing your every move. We killed a couple goats on public land, got checked by F+G, I am sure due to a call from the watchman, once warden saw everything was good he started chatting about where we were from etc. We asked him about the chunk of state that our GPS showed but was being farmed. He said we could hunt it, that it was state land, only leased for alfalfa crops. We killed a couple goats off it a day later, ranch watchman never said a word, we never had any problem. Saw other people hunt it too.

Your mileage may vary, but we had no issues.

IF the state land GIS layer shows that the section is open but still has a pivot, you just cannot hunt under the pivot shadow. Direct from the state lands office mouth.

I would always clarify with the warden who's district you will be in ahead of time. But that came from a phone call with the SLO while sitting in a wardens office while on speaker phone.

Thanks icebreaker that is interesting info. I do know some sections on the OSLI are red only because they need more "info" about access.

Thanks icebreaker that is interesting info. I do know some sections on the OSLI are red only because they need more "info" about access.

Yea there are a couple of areas near where people frequently hunt that have a pivot. So we clarified with the SLO. Mostly, because the pivots held geese and we wanted to see how we could legally chase them without breaking the law.

Back