Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What's a Decent Spotter?

My opinion Leica is the best glass on the market. Beats Swarovski. But the price reflects it. Only glass I've heard people say is better is some scope Nikon makes that I have never looked through but supposedly is like $8000. On the reasonable end I would vote for the Vortex HD or Leupold.

Good feedback, thanks.
Any preference angled eye piece vs straight? Why?

I prefer angled myself. The only time i think straight is a better option is when using it off a window mount, which i dont do. Angled is better for me because it allows me to look over the top of the scope when sitting or standing. I dont have to look around the scope.

I'd look for a used Leica/Swarovski/Zeiss. My 2001 65mm Zeiss can still allow me to read the fine printing on my 100 yard targets.

For that use I'd look at a Leupold Ventana or Vortex Diamondback. They'll both come in at less that $500 and will perform quite well unless you need to count rings on a sheep.

I'll second the comment for the Leupold Ventana. Bought one a couple years back, being from Maine I don't use it a ton and I've never compared it to Swaro/Leica/other high end scopes, but I've been thoroughly impressed with it for what it costs. It certainly fits my needs, although I'm not a sheep guide! If I ever do draw, my plan is to rent/borrow one of those higher end scopes.

I actually bought the Endeavor scope that MinnesotaHunter mentions at the same time as the Ventana (got it on Camofire for a smoking deal, so figured I'd buy both and return one). I tested them side by side on multiple occasions. Honestly, I wanted to like the Endeavor more, but the Ventana blew it out of the water despite being less than half the price.

I'm limited on my scope experience, but I'm not sure what else you could ask of a scope in the price range it's in. Now, if you have different needs, it'd probably be worthwhile to save a bit more and get a scope that allows you to count rings on a sheep in less than ideal circumstances.

All great advice to the OP, i have never owned a spotting scope, but i think it could be useful, identifying the difference between a Roe Buck and a doe at distance can be an issue for me.
I can pick up a Vortex over in the UK, but what magnification etc do you guys prefer, bearing in mind if i get to return to Montana one day i will use it there.

Many thanks

Richard

I can pick up a Vortex over in the UK, but what magnification etc do you guys prefer, bearing in mind if i get to return to Montana one day i will use it there.

It all depends on the scope. Objective diameter, quality of glass, and eye relief vary.

For my current set (62mm objective, 21-42 magnification), the lower ranges get used most.

Light and mirage really hammer the image at higher magnification.

So, generally speaking, 20-40 power will cover most applications.

Try before you buy if possible.

I run a zeiss diascope 65 i picked up for $1000 on craigslist. Love it, but at higher power, the smaller objective scopes really suffer, but they are a LOT nicer in your pack. If you are using it mainly in your backyard and at the range where your aren't lugging it around a lot, i would get an 80mm objective. Look for a used Vortex Viper, or similar priced scope. Should keep you easily under $750 for the whole setup

If you are military, veteran, law enforcement, or emergency services I would look at going with a Vortex. They offer a 40% off discount off of MSRP to anyone in that category like myself. I've been looking for a good yet inexpensive spotting scope myself and so far that is by far the best deal I have seen.

If you are military, veteran, law enforcement, or emergency services I would look at going with a Vortex. They offer a 40% off discount off of MSRP to anyone in that category like myself. I've been looking for a good yet inexpensive spotting scope myself and so far that is by far the best deal I have seen.

Are you serious?! If I would have known that maybe I would have went with Vortex!

Look into the Theron Saker scopes from Predator Optics. Shmalts (Pat) is a forum member and it's his site. Great prices and even better customer service and super fast shipping.

The same folks can get deals on Leupold and Zeiss as well.

Leupold sent me the LEO price list last yr and it wasn't near as good of a discount as Vortex. I ended up buying a VXII from Shmalts for a much better price.

The Zeiss discount isn't anything to write home about either.

If you keep an eye on it, Vortex offers extra incentives on top of the 40% discount as well. Around Christmas they tacked on an extra 10% off and right now they're giving away either a bino harness or flip open scope caps.

I bought an angled Leupold Ventana 15-45x for about $280 new on sale. It is great for the money. I've tried lots of cheap alternatives from Amazon. I sold them all. I can only imagine what a $2000 Leupold scope would look like.

I have just ordered a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60
I did look at this on ebay Barr and Stroud Sahara MC BAK-4 15-45x60 Angled Spotting Scope which was a 3rd of the price of the Vortex, but there is a better warranty with Vortex.
Hopefully it will arrive for this weekend.
Cheers
Richard

I have a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 standard definition I am going to sell. It is in excellent condition and will come with a Leupold Cordura case, and box.

Well within your budget and a phenomenal scope for your needs with a great field of view. Leupold warranty too.

[email protected]

Leupold 15-30x50mm compact gold ring spotting scope is really nice. I like it anyway.

Yeah I've liked mine also but am not a trophy hunter so while it's fantastic on on the range and for hunting on a window mount or for planning stalks and has fit beautifully in my medium sized pack I couldn't say how it'd do for field judging.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back