"How to" Jigging Video

So I gave jigs a go yesterday on an eastern washington desert lake. Lots of giant trout cruising around. Lots of guys catching said fish. I spent the first two hours throwing various jigs with zero success. Then I overheard several say they were fishing chronomid patterns. Are jigs only effective in certain lakes/ponds/rivers? (FYI, I tried a chromomid under of bobber, also zero success but I very limited color and sizes on me).

I'm Colorado Springs. Most people go to 11 Mile Reservoir and all of the mountain lakes are frozen over. I'm sure I could find some faster waters but haven't gotten out there and found it yet.

neffa3, it works on most waters however some days they just aren't in the mood for a jig because there is a major hatch or something else going on. Sometimes a guy just isn't lucky as well. On Saturday I introduced a friend of mine to jig fishing. We were standing side by side, using the exact same jig, casting to pretty much the same spot. He caught four or five and I didn't catch a thing. Drove me nuts having the student kick the teacher's butt, but some days are just that way. Anyway the rainbow below is the first fish he ever caught on a marabou jig. The big brown was the highlight of our morning. Needless to say my friend is hooked on jig fishing now.
Jeremy%20Shepard%203-4-17A_zpspbr7reub.jpg

Very nice Missouri River Brown.
Jeremy%20Shepard%203-4-17B_zpsyqrm68pj.jpg

We've got some more lakes that just iced out so I'll plan on giving it a go again this weekend.

neffa3, get brightly colored marabou jigs like firetiger or perch. Something that will agitate them a little. I usually stick with 1/8 oz for lakes and ponds.

neffa3, get brightly colored marabou jigs like firetiger or perch. Something that will agitate them a little. I usually stick with 1/8 oz for lakes and ponds. Just yesterday I was fishing in a local pond and started off using a 1/4 oz jig just because I had it already tied on from when I was fishing the Missouri River a week or so ago. They fish would follow it but wouldn't hit it. I switched to my usual 1/8 oz and it was game on or should I say fish on! Funny how just a tiny adjustment like how fast or slow the jig falls in the water can make that big of a difference.

Thanks for posting the video. I prefer spin fishing to a fly rod, look forward to employing a new tactic this spring

colo_junk, hopefully you'll hook into some slammer fish. I've tried it in several states and it seems to work everywhere I've tried it. Some places better than others, but it does work.

Jiggy proof from less than two weeks ago.
Troy%20Adams%204-7-17A_zpsatrswiir.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back