"How to" Jigging Video

Big Sky

I didn't think February was ever going to end! For a short month it seemed to last forever!!! Anyway the ice-out/spring bite starts this month. It is in my opinion the absolute best time of the entire year to catch trophy sized rainbow trout. The fishing can be borderline insane sometimes. There are a number of ways to catch them, but for me it's when jigging with marabou or bucktail jigs really shines. Rather than try to explain how to do it, I will just repost this video I made a while back. Hopefully it will help some of you have a more successful spring fishing experience this year. Just for the record and incase anyone wonders...I get absolutely zero kick back or financial gain from this. I pay full price for my marabou jigs just like anyone else. I love to fish and use jigs in particular. Just hoping to help others out a little if possible. If y'all get curious I have a few other videos posted on YouTube. Check them out as well. Hey there are worse ways one can spend their time. :)
Best of luck to all.
[video=youtube_share;ECOJGqtHPsk]https://youtu.be/ECOJGqtHPsk[/video]

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I was just talking about searching this. Even better that its something you did. I've been in awe of some of the fish you have caught and posted on here.

Well done.
Your getting darned proficient with the camera and fishing of course.
What kind of camera, Gopro?
Now ,WHEN are you going to do a coyote video ???

Coyotes-R-Us I mostly use a Canon compact G15. It's mostly used for stills, but has pretty decent HD video capabilities as well. I'll leave the coyote hunting videos up to the boys at FoxPro. They are tentatively scheduled to come up here and hunt with me late spring/early summer this year. We will be using decoy dogs and hopefully catch enough footage to do an episode. Whether it all works out or not on camera, hunting with Al Morris is always a blast. That guy is even more fun in real life than he is on camera. He is the real deal and it's not by chance that he is an exceptional coyote hunter. While it is fun to hunt with him, it's a bit humbling as well. That guy can flat out shoot!!!

7mm08mo, I've caught plenty of both hatchery and wild naturally spawning trout on jigs. In fact in the video there is a mix of both being caught.

Cool stuff. I hope you get some commission from Kitstackle . . . . I'm sure their sales just went up. :)

2ski I couldn't agree more. Trevor and Kit are super good people and they genuinely want to help people have success fishing. They are great to hang out with as well. I've sat through there presentation a several times. While I could pert near teach the presentation I always seem to pick something new up from them. I'm really looking forward to fishing with them and my youngest daughter later this month.

Big Sky, do you fish your jigs on rivers as well? I was curious if you fished them similar to streamers on a fly rod? I like casting them quartering up stream and then letting them swing below me while stripping line every few seconds. I do that through the riffles into the middle of the pool. Seems like the jigs could do the same but on spinning tackle. Also it would seem that a longer rod would help with jigs, does 6.5 seem to be your favorite length?

VAspeedgoat, all of the photos I've posted the last 3 months of trout are all from fishing jigs in a river. I snap the jig a little harder than what a fly fisherman does when they are stripping streamers. With a jig I'm trying to keep it off the bottom so I don't get hung up. Color selection for jigs vs streamers is often the same.

VAspeedgoat, all of the photos I've posted the last 3 months of trout are all from fishing jigs in a river. I snap the jig a little harder than what a fly fisherman does when they are stripping streamers. With a jig I'm trying to keep it off the bottom so I don't get hung up. Color selection for jigs vs streamers is often the same.

Thanks, it seemed like a remedial question but I dint want to assume.

VAspeedgoat, one other thing I missed in your questions. Shorter rods actually work better. I know guys that do very well and prefer 5 to 5.5' rods. I probably should go shorter than a 6.5' but it seems to work fine. The reason for shorter rods vs longer is that when jigging one really snaps it up hard and it shoots up in the water column. If the rod is long it tends to travel up too much. I only want that jig coming up a foot or two, not 3 to 4 feet every time I snap the rod up. The other advantage is that by keeping the rods shorter and lighter there is a lot less hand/arm fatigue when fishing all day. I can't imagine trying to do this with a medium/heavy or heavy rod. I wouldn't last 20 minutes.

VAspeedgoat, one other thing I missed in your questions. Shorter rods actually work better. I know guys that do very well and prefer 5 to 5.5' rods. I probably should go shorter than a 6.5' but it seems to work fine. The reason for shorter rods vs longer is that when jigging one really snaps it up hard and it shoots up in the water column. If the rod is long it tends to travel up too much. I only want that jig coming up a foot or two, not 3 to 4 feet every time I snap the rod up. The other advantage is that by keeping the rods shorter and lighter there is a lot less hand/arm fatigue when fishing all day. I can't imagine trying to do this with a medium/heavy or heavy rod. I wouldn't last 20 minutes.

Even better, we won't have to worry about new rods. I am wanting to try this when we head out west this summer. I think it will be easier for the kids to pick up and be successful when compared to a fly rod. Thank you very much.

Nice video. Unfortunately most of the good water here in CO is covered with solid water right now. I love ultralight fishing and just picked up a 7' 6" rod and a new reel a few weeks ago after my 6.5' got stolen. Not sure how I'll like a rod that long but after fishing it a little I'm liking it. Haven't caught anything larger than a small bluegill yet but I like any fish that tugs at a line.

Anschutz, I'm not sure where you are located in Colorado, but just to the north of you in Wyoming, there are some outstanding tail race waters that never freeze up much like around here.

I must try your jig method someday, heck I just need to fish again someday. For a guy who claims fishing as his hobby/pastime, it's been a long time since I last held a trout.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back