PEAX Equipment

Scope recommendations for a sheep/goat rifle

Southern Elk

I have a new Savage Lightweight Hunter chambered in .308. I hope to take it sheep/goat hunting one day. I want to try to keep it as light as possible. What do you guys recommend for a lightweight scope? This isn't a long range rifle so I don't think I necessarily need high magnification or adjustable turrets. I'm partial to Leupold but open to suggestions.

I currently have VX-6 2-12X on my three lightweight rifles. Absolutely love them. Leupold is sending me new models that they want me to try this year. Whatever they send me, it will be hard to part with the scopes I currently have.

I have had great luck with the leupold Ultralight scopes as well. I have the 3-9x33 CDS, that comes in at 9.3oz. You definitely don't get the light transmission, but if you really want to go light, it is pretty much all by itself.

I've seen 9 sheep executed with a lowly VX1 3x9. I don't worry to much about the scope on a rifle once the reliability box is checked. I've thought about getting a VX2 with a CDS for the last 3 years, but haven't talked myself into it yet.

I really like the Leupold VX 3 in the 2.5-8x36. I like the size and how they fit on the rifle. I also like the lower magnification when hunting in the timber or river bottoms.

I've had great success with Leupold vx-3 1.75×6.Plenty of eye relief, brightness and field of view. GJ

My little model 7 in 7-08 has always worn a vx3 2.5-8x36. It has been flawless for the last 15 yrs. I would recommend it for anything. But that 3-9x33 ultralight leupold would be great too.

At what distance are typical sheep & goat shots taken? From what I've seen on YouTube a good portion of them seem pretty far.

With all these magnifications listed, would you say they'd be adequate for <400 yards?

Lot of support for Leupold scopes and I the couple that I have looked through are very good. Having said that I really love my Zeiss 4-16x. I have a couple Nikon Prostaffs that I use for shorter range (<250yds) hunts. They are good, but are not the quality of Zeiss, but then again cost 70% less.

VX3i 4.5-14x40..... In the end it's not really just a goat/sheep rifle :)

Leupold FX-I I 6x36 with b&c reticle.
This! One small correction is that the fixed powered scopes do not come with the B&C reticle, but can be had with the Long Range Duplex. It's similar, in that it gives 3 points for holdover, but no windage reference like the B&C.

Thanks for the all of the recommendations guys. Before starting the thread I was leaning towards a Leupold VX2. I decided to go with the 3x9x40 with the LR reticle that was mentioned above. I like the idea of having the LR reticle for longer shots and at only 12 oz, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm excited to see how it turns out. The rifle weighed in at 5lbs 10oz as advertised. I ordered a set of Talley lightweight rings. The end result should easily be sub 7lbs.

Thanks for the all of the recommendations guys. Before starting the thread I was leaning towards a Leupold VX2. I decided to go with the 3x9x40 with the LR reticle that was mentioned above. I like the idea of having the LR reticle for longer shots and at only 12 oz, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm excited to see how it turns out. The rifle weighed in at 5lbs 10oz as advertised. I ordered a set of Talley lightweight rings. The end result should easily be sub 7lbs.
Just be forewarned that as a second focal plane scope, the dots will only line up on one magnification. If the first dot down is sighted in at 400yds on 9X, it won't be sighted for that distance on any other magnification. Just a small thing to remember.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back