Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Scope recommendations for a sheep/goat rifle

I just bought a Cooper Model 92 Backcountry 300 WM for an upcoming August sheep hunt.

I mounted a Leupold VX-6 3-18 x 44 mm with the Zero Lock CDS.

A little contrary to mount a slightly heavy scope on a lightweight rifle but I love the balance of it.

We'll see if I love it after backpacking for a couple weeks but that is how I'm rolling.

I just bought a Cooper Model 92 Backcountry 300 WM for an upcoming August sheep hunt.

I mounted a Leupold VX-6 3-18 x 44 mm with the Zero Lock CDS.

A little contrary to mount a slightly heavy scope on a lightweight rifle but I love the balance of it.

We'll see if I love it after backpacking for a couple weeks but that is how I'm rolling.

You're gonna love it when it matters. I'm looking fwd to eyeballin' a 6HD.

Thanks for the all of the recommendations guys. Before starting the thread I was leaning towards a Leupold VX2. I decided to go with the 3x9x40 with the LR reticle that was mentioned above. I like the idea of having the LR reticle for longer shots and at only 12 oz, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm excited to see how it turns out. The rifle weighed in at 5lbs 10oz as advertised. I ordered a set of Talley lightweight rings. The end result should easily be sub 7lbs.

I am putting the same gun together, in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Went with the VX3i 3.5x10

Right now, with Talley lightweight rings, scope, and 4 shells in the magazine is 6lbs 12oz.

Have a Montana Rifle Sling on order of Pat Sinclair's, and still will add scope caps.

My perfect sheep rig is a 257 WBY Ultralight with a VX3 3.5-10. The only sheep I've shot at with it was killed at around 360 yards. That rig is a nice combo of light weight and reach.

Great advice so far. I love my 3-18 VX6. Mine is the 50mm but the 44mm is a little lighter. It is the best scope on the market for a wester big game hunter.

Randy's suggestion of the 2-12 is also a great suggestion.

And the 3-9x33 Leupold VX2 is 11 oz. The VX2 2-7x28 is 8 oz. Both are very affordable and hard to beat.

This! One small correction is that the fixed powered scopes do not come with the B&C reticle, but can be had with the Long Range Duplex. It's similar, in that it gives 3 points for holdover, but no windage reference like the B&C.

Yep this one! 6x36mm Leupold

Thanks for the all of the recommendations guys. Before starting the thread I was leaning towards a Leupold VX2. I decided to go with the 3x9x40 with the LR reticle that was mentioned above. I like the idea of having the LR reticle for longer shots and at only 12 oz, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm excited to see how it turns out. The rifle weighed in at 5lbs 10oz as advertised. I ordered a set of Talley lightweight rings. The end result should easily be sub 7lbs.

Hey Guys. I wanted to update this thread from a while back. I got a new set of scales, so I wanted to see exactly how my rig turned out. The scope is mentioned above. I went with a set of Talley lightweight rings. The rifle and scope came in at 6.45 lbs. The hunting setup including sling and 4 shells (180 grain bullets) came in at 7.1 lbs. Overall I'm pretty happy with this setup, especially for the money that I have invested in it.

Attachments

• IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 213
when it comes down to it, You spend all this money to get to your fav huntingspot, You dont want to have a scope that's not going to do the job, I would hold off and save some money and get the VX-6 , I put one on my Browning Hell Canyon and love it

when it comes down to it, You spend all this money to get to your fav huntingspot, You dont want to have a scope that's not going to do the job, I would hold off and save some money and get the VX-6 , I put one on my Browning Hell Canyon and love it

See above...the scope has been purchased for quite some time. I just wanted to update with the weight for the total setup. I'm happy with the scope that I chose.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back