POW Island Black Bear Caliber/Bullet

matttyson

Let's hear what caliber/bullet people recommend for Spring Black Bear hunt on Prince of Wales Island. Most advice I'd received is the bigger the better; stating the dense rainforest and likely rainy weather will make for difficult tracking conditions so dropping them in their tracks is the goal. Only rifle I own is a 270 Win.; so was thinking 150gr partitions. Thoughts, or better yet personal experience?

150 gr Noz Partition in .270 would be excellent for any black bear on POW.

Bullet placement is more important than caliber.

(I use 130 gr TSX for caribou, sheep)

Spring bear on POW usually means spot & stalk on the tidal flats. Shots could be long. The 270 would be fine. Black bears are pretty much the same all over North America, so any caliber/bullet that would work in the lower 48 will work here, too. You are much more likely to run into a really BIG black bear on the east coast (I'm thinking NC or PA) than on POW (or anywhere else in AK), IMO.

Thanks everyone. I'll likely stick with the 270 to keep the budget down on this hunt. Even though a 338 win mag would look pretty darn good in the gun safe. Anyone have experience with Howa 1500 in 338 win mag?

IF I was going to upgrade, I'd skip the 338 & go right to the 375 H&H or Ruger. Recoil is comparable, ammo is generally more available, and should you ever find an opportunity to go to Africa you'd have a rifle that's legal most anywhere. I have a 338 and every time I get it out regret that I didn't get a 375 when I got it.

Range Update; turns out my .270 has a hinkering for 130gr Accubonds; and not the 150 Partitions. Thoughts on the 130gr accubonds for black bear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back