CVA vs. Tradtions

huntid73

I know I might be opening a can of worms, but I am looking at a new smokepole. The options I am looking at are the CVA Wolf Northwest, CVA Optima Northwest, and the Traditions Vortex Northwest. I'm curious as to what experiences other Hunttalkers have had with these outfits. At my local shop I have heard good things about both, but would like some more input. I will mainly be hunting elk and some deer hunts in November/December seasons.

I have a CVA Optima and I love it! Easy to clean, light weight, durable. I put a peep sight on mine with a aluminum custom shim to raise it up a bit. Pair that with a 465 grain No Excuses conical bullet and it's a elk slayer. I've used it to elk hunt the last four years.

I love my Accura V2 Thumbhole. I really wished the mountain rifle version would have felt as good in my hands but it didn't.

If you get one, you may want to go through Carlos at Ed's gun shop in NC. He can set you up right, especially for BH209 loose powder.

read the owner reviews online (cabelas etc) the reviews are STELLAR.
I'm buying one on Cushmans recommendation.

TripleJ, what happened with Traditions?

Issues with not firing/hang firing. I don't know if it's been fixed for good by now or not. I know for sure it was an issue 2-3 years ago. There was plenty of accounts about this very issue posted with the Traditions Vortek. You should be able to do a quick internet search and read more about it.

Not even a contest. CVA. I have a new Traditions that I got as a warranty replacement. Stainless Lightning with 209 primer ignition that I have been trying to find a home for some time. Can't even get $150 for it, and it's stainless. So even resale on Traditions pales in comparison.

know three guys that hunt with the traditions that have had issues with miss fires. two of them switched to the musket cap nipple provided and haven't had and issue. they don't seem to like No. 11 caps, even magnums. from all accounts when they go off they shoot good groups

I have a traditions that shoots great. The factory sights we're junk but other than that no issues.

Ive been shooting my Traditions Pursuit LT for a while. I've taken deer, elk and pronghorn with it. I
ve always been very happy with its performance.

Northwest edition models

I know I might be opening a can of worms, but I am looking at a new smokepole. The options I am looking at are the CVA Wolf Northwest, CVA Optima Northwest, and the Traditions Vortex Northwest. I'm curious as to what experiences other Hunttalkers have had with these outfits. At my local shop I have heard good things about both, but would like some more input. I will mainly be hunting elk and some deer hunts in November/December seasons.

I didn't see any comments directly answering the Northwest edition question. Did you purchase a new muzzle loader, if so which one and how has it performed?

Haven't purchased one yet, looking at doing so in the next week or so. I'm leaning towards the CVA, felt better on the shoulder, and the breech seemed easier to remove when I was looking at them in the store. Will update when I buy one.

I have had really good luck with CVA smokepoles. I have an optima that has been pretty awesome. I bought a CVA wolf cause we needed an extra one for the boys. It was pretty dam cheap and it has been really accurate and reliable. I have used it myself a few times because it is a touch smaller and easy to carry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back