Yeti GOBOX Collection

The authentic 6.5 Hipster

Pondera

FullSizeRender.jpg

For comparison from left to right: .300 Win Mag, 7x57, 6.5x55.

The 6.5x55 - a fun round with a long history. A few guns still chambered for it. Mine is super hipster in a Husqvarna Swedish Mauser.

That's a personal favorite right there. Love it on hogs, deer and black bear, would absolutely use it on a sheep and caribou hunt, wouldn't feel under gunned on elk or moose. It will do anything a 270 Win. will. Have taken 10 or 12 head of big game with 6.5x55 Sako 75 Finn light and have been thoroughly impressed. Handloads really make it shine, most factory ammo is for use in older, weaker rifles. Use load data for the 6.5 SKAN, the modern version of the 6.5x55 intended for current high strength actions.

Last edited:
I like the 6.5x55 even though I've never shot one. It's my feeling that wildcatters are the TRUE hipsters because they were shooting other calibers "before they were cool"(aka mass produced). I like that Sako a lot. Maybe one day I'll have a nice European rifle in 6.5x55. The only draw back I see to it is that it's a long action while many other 6.5's are short. I really like the 260 rem also but it really seems to be fading now that the 6.5 creedmoor is so big.

You did that coyote a massive favor. I shot one here near my house last year that had zero hair left. What a bad way to go!

I have become a real fan of the 6.5s, now that I have a .260. :hump:

I'm a big fan of the swede, I've got two stored at my house that belong to my boys (husqvarna) and one stored at my house that my father purchased. (It's a m70 fwt). I don't know what's new in the world, that's not old. the 7x57, 6.5x55 and 30 06 have been around for over a hundred years, and most of the new stuff is just regurgitating what's already been done. I'm on board with the creedmor being labeled the flatbill, but I can't get behind the swede being the hipster. I don't look good in flannel.

To be a real hipster you have to be shooting the 6.5 creedmor's parent cases, parent case.

I don't know what's new in the world, that's not old. the 7x57, 6.5x55 and 30 06 have been around for over a hundred years, and most of the new stuff is just regurgitating what's already been done.

There's alot to be said about cartridges that have survived this long and still get it done. Advancements in bullet construction have made them even better than when they were first developed. The 7x57 being one of my absolute favorites.

I have a howa in 6.5x55 and like it a lot. Great gun to shoot and hoping to use it as my main rifle for everything. Sounds like it is really popular over seas still with big game hunters and match shooters. Has anyone here used this caliber on elk and if so how well did it penetrate?

If I reach into the gun safe to take something for a walk, likely it's one of three. The 7x57, the 6.5x55, or dad's old 375H&H I think that's parent case enough.

That's a personal favorite right there. Love it on hogs, deer and black bear, would absolutely use it on a sheep and caribou hunt, wouldn't feel under gunned on elk or moose. It will do anything a 270 Win. will. Have taken 10 or 12 head of big game with 6.5x55 Sako 75 Finn light and have been thoroughly impressed. Handloads really make it shine, most factory ammo is for use in older, weaker rifles. Use load data for the 6.5 SKAN, the modern version of the 6.5x55 intended for current high strength actions.

The rifle I have is an older rifle, Mauser 96. I've been told you can work up a great reload for it. First I have heard of the 6.5 skan. The factory loads I have been shooting look to be on the safe side for older rifles. I'm saving the brass. This gun has taken a few deer since I have had it, shoots fast, flat and most of all FUN!

Thank you all for contributing to this thread!

By the way I think a flat brim hat is required to purchase a Ford Raptor (well, to have daddy purchase one).

IIRC unlike other pre-1898 Mausers the 1896 model Swedish Mauser has some of the best pre-war steel and is up to modern strength standards but what keeps it from the modern load catagory is that it has no 3rd or safety lug like '98 Mausers and all current actions. Kimber did import a bunch of '96 Swedes back in the '90s and rebarrel them to 308 Winchester with no problems so the math must (?) work for modern loads.

Google 6.5 SKAN, lots of info.

I have shot the 6.5x55 for many years and is my go to gun in the Uk. I shoot 140gr and the ballistics out to 300yds are the same as a 165gr 30 cal. I does have the edge though as it behaves better in the wind. It's flight deflection is more predictable than a 30cal which at times flies like a pig. I have shot big reds (300lb+) and it works well as you can see in the picture. I enquired about Elk as I hope to come over in 2018 to Montana and the opinion on this forum was it was maybe on the light side so am bringing the 30-06.
IMG_0547.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back