Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

60% Resident increase?

I don't complain about paying NR fees when I hunt other states. I feel it's a privilege to be able to go there and be able to hunt and fish. I accept the fact that I'm going to pay more, as I would in any other state I'd hunt as a NR, because that's just how it's done. If I think a fee is too high for what I can get out of my investment I don't go there. It's just that easy. I moved to CO when I retired from the Army because I wanted to hunt elk and mule deer and antelope and couldn't do that back East. So, I do support a resident tag fee increase, since we haven't had one in a long time, but 60% is a little outrageous. Perhaps an incremental hike over a few years would suffice? I don't think too many resident hunters would oppose a fee increase here. I think hunters in ANY state would come completely unglued if their agency wanted to raise their resident tag fees 60%. If you don't like Colorado's NR prices or CPI raises, then by all means, don't come here to hunt. There will always be someone to take your place in the draw and on the mountains and prairies. With all of the NR plates I see on trucks in places I go to hunt, it looks like not everyone is pissed about the NR fees. Like I said, it's a privilege to hunt in other states, so it makes sense to expect to pay more...it's not a right guaranteed to you, so you have to pay to play, especially because you can't hunt elk back east every year....

Last edited:
CO residents - get your little wallets out and pay more for your tags. Go cry about the cost of gas or your legal pot or the cost of a $20 dinner at Outback that you have to skip to buy a tag.

We're really crying about a few dollars here? Sell the $50k truck and you can hunt for years and years with a $30k truck

Boo whoo!!! About time Colorado residents pull their weight and increase the fee on residents instead of breaking the backs and pocketbooks of non-residents. Every single year they raise the fee on non resident hunters with no rhyme or reason. I have zero sympathy for you and I think you whining about it is a absolute joke! You can get TWO deer tags in Wisconsin for $80 as a first time buyer and $180 every time after that! Plus each doe tag after that is $20!! You get now sympathy from me. Time for colorado residents to pull their weight!

You make it sound like your deer tags are guaranteed and cheap in Wisconsin, but here in Colorado I know what its like to not get a tag and have to sit out deer season, even in what would be considered a general area. I just want to deer hunt in the state I live in as I'm sure you do as well where you call home. But for some reason if I want to hunt my home state I'm considered selfish because someone in another state wants to hunt Colorado too and pays more. I would gladly play $100 a tag if I knew I could hunt every year and in the same area each year. Heck I'd think $150 a tag is a bargain if we had a OTC statewide deer tag good for 11 weeks like Montana!

As I said previously, when a Nonresident comes to Colorado or whatever state they choose to hunt outside their home state, its a bonus hunt. I want to hunt Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska for whitetails but I'm not going to cry about the fee's they charge or if they limit me as a nonresident which they do.

I started this as a "Resident" fee topic, I don't know why all the nonresidents are bent out of shape. If Kansas, Wisconsin, wherever raised its resident fee's I wouldn't go crying about how its about time because I have to pay more as a nonresident.

Why are NR's so concerned with what we pay for tags in the first place? :confused:

John, don't mean this in a bad way so don't take it that way. A big reason is because every time a NR says anything about tag price all we here from the residents that you have to "pay to play" and that money is needed for conservation. I have to say it is nice to see the burden of conservation cost spread among the people who should care about it the most. I'm from MS and we just raised our resident license as the funding is needed and as a resident I am happy to pay more as long as money is being invested back into making our wildlife habitat and opportunities better.

I know it is about jealousy of the cost difference for a lot of people. I'm more on the side that I know even a small rise in the resident license cost puts as much money into conservation as a large rise on NR does.

jlmatthew,

I also don't mean this negatively but there are quite a few units that are 100% draw for deer for residents in CO right?

Last edited:
Why are NR's so concerned with what we pay for tags in the first place? :confused:
Maybe because NRs fund the bulk of Western states F&G and would like to share the burden a bit? Maybe because, they too are interested in their return on investment for purchasing a tag, which does involve F&G funding?

You make it sound like your deer tags are guaranteed and cheap in Wisconsin, but here in Colorado I know what its like to not get a tag and have to sit out deer season, even in what would be considered a general area. I just want to deer hunt in the state I live in as I'm sure you do as well where you call home. But for some reason if I want to hunt my home state I'm considered selfish because someone in another state wants to hunt Colorado too and pays more. I would gladly play $100 a tag if I knew I could hunt every year and in the same area each year. Heck I'd think $150 a tag is a bargain if we had a OTC statewide deer tag good for 11 weeks like Montana!

As I said previously, when a Nonresident comes to Colorado or whatever state they choose to hunt outside their home state, its a bonus hunt. I want to hunt Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska for whitetails but I'm not going to cry about the fee's they charge or if they limit me as a nonresident which they do.

I started this as a "Resident" fee topic, I don't know why all the nonresidents are bent out of shape. If Kansas, Wisconsin, wherever raised its resident fee's I wouldn't go crying about how its about time because I have to pay more as a nonresident.

A few suggestions:

1. Maybe you just chose the wrong the State to live in...pack your bags, nothing holding you back. Lots of states can offer you guaranteed tags for deer each year.

2. Work on ending all the tag give-away programs like RFW in Colorado...that would free up a bunch of tags.

3. Work on ending transferable landowner tags in Colorado....that would free up a bunch of tags.

Instead, you go on the whine about not being able to hunt the same unit every year in the area you want to hunt.

You have ways to help your situation other than whimpering about the cost of a resident deer tag going up...get off the couch and make changes.

I don't know how to figure this question out, but what would the CPI rate be for a R tag? I know the NR tags go up by the CPI and we haven't had a raise in a long time, but what would our R tag cost according to the CPI?

"It means less access to the enjoyment that they have already," said Lauren Truitt with CO Parks and Wildlife.

Instead they are proposing increases across the board and some are pretty hefty. The rough draft proposal is 60% increase for state parks, 60% increase for hunting and fishing licenses which is about $20 more (hefty??), and a new fee for boat owners. Truitt said they've had 18 public meetings and the feedback has been good.

This issue isn't NR driven but pointer's reply is relevant.

Devil's advocate for the "if an NR doesn't like it another NR will take his place"....would not that same logic apply to Residents?

Last edited:

Exactly!

I hunted Kansas, Montana, and Wyoming this year as a non-resident and paid way more than the residents... as I should have!! Thank you to those states for allowing me as a non-resident to come and hunt.

I grew up in an area in Colorado that is a trophy unit, I never got to hunt my parents place or the public lands adjoining it because at the time it took 17 points (haven't checked what it is now) therefore I didn't start hunting until after college when I moved back because it wasn't easy for a highschool kid to do on their own (my parents don't hunt). I wonder how someone from Wisconsin would feel if when they were growing up they saw people from out of state piling into their town every year to hunt but even if they had started putting in for points at 12 years old by 25 they still won't have the points to draw.

Do I think they should increase the tags for my home unit... no... it is managed well. But it is weird hearing about people taking 3 deer a year at home and then coming to CO to hunt on top of that and complaining about how the locals get it easy....

Also a CO resident tag is still more expensive than a Wisconsin res deer tag without this 60% increase...

A few suggestions:

1. Maybe you just chose the wrong the State to live in...pack your bags, nothing holding you back. Lots of states can offer you guaranteed tags for deer each year.

2. Work on ending all the tag give-away programs like RFW in Colorado...that would free up a bunch of tags.

3. Work on ending transferable landowner tags in Colorado....that would free up a bunch of tags.

Instead, you go on the whine about not being able to hunt the same unit every year in the area you want to hunt.

You have ways to help your situation other than whimpering about the cost of a resident deer tag going up...get off the couch and make changes.

Maybe I'll buy a house next door to you Lloyd! :rolleyes:

And C'mon, you would be rioting like a post election basement dwelling millennial if Wyoming said we're going to adopt Colorado's maximum revenue model. You are always crying like a little girl on her first period about something on here. Not enough big bulls in MT, so and so wants to keep his private land private, etc... After reading many of your post, you sound like a hypocrite because you never pack up and move to California or New York to be amongst your beloved like minded environmental activist. They have USFS land, put in for a transfer? And some of us do try to get the things done you mentioned like going to meetings and letting others know what's going on like I did by starting this post.

Back to the original subject, for any that's curious, here is how much of your big game tag fee's are going to big game. Tag sales from same group generated $53,573,673 so a little over 8% actually goes back to big game. Link attached below

Deer Conservation $ 2,445,398
Elk Conservation $ 716,070
Other Ungulates Conservation $ 883,366
Predatory Mammals Conservation $ 398,662

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2017/Jan/Item_25-Financial_Update-Jan2107-PWCMtg.pdf

Last edited:
Here in ND we had our tags go up by 50% just a few years ago. From a mere $20 for a big game animal to $30. I heard a lot of people complain about it. $30 dollars gets me a state wide whitetail or mule deer archery tag every year and a season that goes from end of august or early September to first par of January. I would honestly like to see our prices go up for big game even more. it took me and my dad 8 years without drawing a rifle tag to get our mule deer tag. I am on year 10 without getting a muzzleloader tag.

id be willing to pay $100 for a tag here in ND knowing that the extra money will be going towards conservation. One thing the NDGF has added to their applications as an option if you are unsuccessful in drawing your tag you can just donate the money that you already paid to apply and not get it refunded. I think that is a nice addition that I hope more people utilize. The $30 I spend when I apply is already taken out of my account so that money is technically spent and the months it takes them to do the draw I forget about it anyway.

I think with anything people hate change and people hate paying more money.

Exactly!

I hunted Kansas, Montana, and Wyoming this year as a non-resident and paid way more than the residents... as I should have!! Thank you to those states for allowing me as a non-resident to come and hunt.

I grew up in an area in Colorado that is a trophy unit, I never got to hunt my parents place or the public lands adjoining it because at the time it took 17 points (haven't checked what it is now) therefore I didn't start hunting until after college when I moved back because it wasn't easy for a highschool kid to do on their own (my parents don't hunt). I wonder how someone from Wisconsin would feel if when they were growing up they saw people from out of state piling into their town every year to hunt but even if they had started putting in for points at 12 years old by 25 they still won't have the points to draw.

Do I think they should increase the tags for my home unit... no... it is managed well. But it is weird hearing about people taking 3 deer a year at home and then coming to CO to hunt on top of that and complaining about how the locals get it easy....

Also a CO resident tag is still more expensive than a Wisconsin res deer tag without this 60% increase...

Believe me, we would love to have a hunt-able elk population. Hope you realize how lucky you are

If they are going to raise the fee so much, then they should restructure the season format to something like Montana or Wyoming to where you don't have to pick a specific week to hunt 7 months in advance. This year it was in the 60's and 70's during 3rd rifle season and I pretty much wasted my elk tag fee. Now, the more expensive tag fee would be a little tough to take. Everyone wants to say we have it so good, but to only have 1 week for each rifle season is a bit rediculous if they want to charge that much. I think we should pay equal to the opportunity we get. I'm not saying I'm against an increase, but this proposal is a bit silly. Sure, Montana is more expensive, but they get how long to fill their tags....? Also, you guys from back East that say we shouldn't complain...when you get a $30 deer tag, how many of them can you get and how long are your seasons, and how many doe tags are you allowed to get?

The answer to your last question depends on where you are at. Here in northern Wisconsin we certainly aren't getting tags hand over fist. I got one buck tag for bow and one for rifle. Doe tags are difficult to get in the north, some areas don't have any available. Yea we have long bow seasons, but with low deer densities in a lot of areas, plus extremely thick cover, it is a tough hunt

Guys are still whining about the best mule deer hunting in the US, for $50 permits? Why am I not surprised?

Believe me, we would love to have a hunt-able elk population. Hope you realize how lucky you are

Definitely appreciate it!

Do you think that Wisconsin will allow non-res to apply to hunt elk when your population gets large enough? or will they take the stance that Michigan and Minnesota has and limit the draw to only residents? Pretty sure you are 100% not allowed to complain about non-res elk hunting in CO if your state has elk herds that non-res can't hunt... no matter how small a herd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back