Caribou Gear

Cam Hanes Meeting with Chaffetz

Joel, thanks for the explanation. It does sound like a good program. My concern is working with an anti-public land congressman like Chaffetz. Cam has a lot of influence with public land hunters. This could boost his (Chaffetz) image with the public land crowd, even though he is still against us. I think it's possible that Cam was invited to meet with him just to score points with public land advocates...points that he does not deserve.

What a stupid idea. Maybe Cam should stick with Jazzercize videos or whatever he is pimping lately, and stay out of politics.

Brilliant: "Hey, let's start teaching Congress that we will support land sales...."

How/why was original meeting set up with Cam? Based on his own statements he is a novice in the technical aspects of this topic. I am glad he is active in the fight, but why wasn't someone like Land Tawney, who I don't want to speak for, but seems pretty accessible in DC, included in a conversation like this?

If Cam was doing this of his own accord, awesome. If Chaffetz sought him out, there has to be a reason.

I think the program sounds good in concept. I am also a little concerned about how the land would be defined and valuated. Would we find ourselves in a situation like was proposed last year in WY Elk unit 7, helping a rancher lock up thousands of acres BLM ground within his ranch, in exchange for some land that was of physically similar size, thus of similar value?

How/why was original meeting set up with Cam? Based on his own statements he is a novice in the technical aspects of this topic. I am glad he is active in the fight, but why wasn't someone like Land Tawney, who I don't want to speak for, but seems pretty accessible in DC, included in a conversation like this?

If Cam was doing this of his own accord, awesome. If Chaffetz sought him out, there has to be a reason.

I think the program sounds good in concept. I am also a little concerned about how the land would be defined and valuated. Would we find ourselves in a situation like was proposed last year in WY Elk unit 7, helping a rancher lock up thousands of acres BLM ground within his ranch, in exchange for some land that was of physically similar size, thus of similar value?
My personal guess is cam is a large name throughout the hunting community and can make an impression on many people by one post. I think Chaffetz used it more for a good PR stance

I'm just guessing by what I have read on his posts, but it sounds like someone reached out to him. Which is part of the reason I've been a little hesitant to praise this. Glad to hear the program is generally well respected though. I really hope it remains so.

What a stupid idea. Maybe Cam should stick with Jazzercize videos or whatever he is pimping lately, and stay out of politics.

Brilliant: "Hey, let's start teaching Congress that we will support land sales...."

People like Ben L and Joel Webster with TRCP seem to be in favor, with TRCP appearing to be the driving force behind cam in this meeting, according to what's above.

Do you have anything of intelligence and substance to add, or can we just count on the status quo?

People like Ben L and Joel Webster with TRCP seem to be in favor, with TRCP appearing to be the driving force behind cam in this meeting, according to what's above.

Do you have anything of intelligence and substance to add, or can we just count on the status quo?

Well, for one, I value in-holdings, and land with difficult access. So, thank you very much, please don't be selling my land that is "landlocked", or "difficult to manage", or only has one buyer, and then try and go out and purchase land with valuable "access".

That is the epitome of "Sell low, buy high".

If you want to consolidate land holdings, and get rid of difficult pieces, there are plenty of vehicles for swaps and trades that can get it done.

reauthorize the Federal Land Transaction Facilitation Act to extend the authority provided to the Bureau of Land Management to sell federal land for ranching, community development, and other projects.

Last edited:
Cam was approached at the Expo in SLC by Jason's "people" seeking out this meeting.

I am very suspect of Chaffetz and his recent PR campaign on social media. After getting his teeth kicked in on HR 621 and then again at his town hall meeting he's been on the offensive when it comes to "being a hunter". Look at his Instagram account which is @jasoninthehouse. Just last week he was out with Utah DWR checking on hibernating bears and now he's all over social media thanks to Cam.

It would have been better to have the likes of Randy, Joel, Land or Cal from First Lite attend this meeting but I suspect they would not have agreed to all the selfies and social promotion.

Why do I suspect a selfie of Chaffetz and Cam together is going to be plastered all over Jason's social media and the uninformed are going to think he (Jason) is one of the good guys? Hopefully Cam is going into this with the kind of preparation and training he is known for and isn't blindsided by political hacks.

Joel gave a breakdown of 622 to cam prior to the meeting, and why hunters see it as a bad thing (which it is). Nothing more, nothing less. Jason reached out to cam for this meeting, presumably to help his PR, as noted above.

Why do I suspect a selfie of Chaffetz and Cam together is going to be plastered all over Jason's social media and the uninformed are going to think he (Jason) is one of the good guys?

I'm 100% certain this will be the case. A selfie with Cam will fair much better for Jason than pics of him with his thumb the butt of a dog. Hopefully there are enough informed hunters out there to squash any attempt at positive PR spin.

I thought they were talking about taking Jason's dog out to chase some cougars. I'm sure there's some places to chase cougars around SLC.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back