Eberlestock J34 Just One

mtrotter

Wondering if anyone has actually packed out an animal with this pack? Was thinking about buying one for an elk hunt. Little worried about how it will handle some elk quarters.

I have packed out a few elk with mine and it works but I think there are better packs to get it done with. Im looking at upgrading mine to a different pack this year.

I've used mine for about 5 years. It can haul more than I can. I agree with the above post, there are better packs out there for a little bit more money. I plan to get a kuiu pack next.

I have one. Hauled a couple elk in it and camped out with it. Like the post above says, it'll haul more than I can. But it is a heavy pack empty.
But every time I have gone out without it I have regretted not taking it. I end up putting a lot of stuff in it for day pack use

I packed out a mule deer with it. Just under 80 pounds with meat and gear. It did ok but I have a Kuiu now and like that a lot better. The J34 just doesn't have a very good frame to keep the weight off your shoulders.

I've packed out three big bulls and two buffalo with mine and the Just One pack did its job. I really like the gun scabbard. Its the first and only hunting pack, besides a pack frame, I ever bought so I don't know anything else.
3A541CE4-66CB-4CBD-9E76-AF1B29EB5596.jpg

I have a brand new one I'm willing to sell, its a couple years old and only worn around the house a few time. Its brush camo. Pm me if interested and i can send you some pictures.

I used to have a just one pack. Packed out many animals and was absolutely miserable each and every time. Before I got my Stone Glacier I just assumed that's how they all were.

Hey Schaaf:

I have carried out some heavy loads. never thought the pack was miserable, just heavy. The few years I have not been in shape I have
not enjoyed the pack as much. But now it seems comfortable, familiar. But like Lbirch I don't know any different or perhaps any better.
So tell me, what do you prefer instead or what works better? I am up for suggestions Whiskey boy :cool:

Hey Schaaf:

I have carried out some heavy loads. never thought the pack was miserable, just heavy. The few years I have not been in shape I have
not enjoyed the pack as much. But now it seems comfortable, familiar. But like Lbirch I don't know any different or perhaps any better.
So tell me, what do you prefer instead or what works better? I am up for suggestions Whiskey boy :cool:

In my experience, the Eberlestock was very poor at transferring the weight of the load to my hips and core of my body. I found that more often than not I was using my upper back and shoulders to support the load.

I had an older J104 that I replaced last year with an EXO Mountain Gear 3500. Man, night and day difference! I packed out a cow elk and 4 deer with the J104, and I really dreaded it. I also found I could never keep the weight on my hips. When I packed out my cow elk, I had bruises on my shoulders for days. I packed out 2 deer last season with the EXO and it seemed almost effortless....

I'm also in the "I had one" camp. I went from a crappy $50 pack to the J34 and thought I was in heaven. HUGE improvement.

Upgraded from the J34 to a Stone Glacier mainly for the weight savings (J34 weighs close to 8 pounds, Stone Glacier weighs around 4), but was amazed at how much better the Stone Glacier carried the heavy loads.

The biggest difference to me is the Stone Glacier and several other of the higher end packs have load lifters that actually transfer weight off your shoulders to your hips. Also the way the load shelf in the Stone Glacier works with the meat right up against your back really helps too.

I did a google search and there is actually a little article discussing this.

http://www.rokslide.com/easyblog/entry/stone-glacier-understanding-the-physics-of-pack-load

My problem with the J34 was that if I was carrying a load of meat, it would sag all the way to the bottom of the shelf all the way down which according to the article is the worst position to put a heavy load.

If it is all you can afford the J34 is not a terrible pack. It WILL haul the load, it is stout. It is just heavy and your shoulders are going to take the brunt of the load. It does have lots of cool pockets and stuff.

If you can afford it, there are much better packs out there.

My 2 cents. Nathan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back