Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What side dishes do you serve with venison back strap?

devon deer

We have a couple of friends coming to dinner this Saturday.
The venison is sorted, i have a roe doe hanging in my chiller, serving up the back straps with a red wine reduced sauce, never failed yet.
I usually serve it with red cabbage, and Dauphinoise Potatoes, but i fancy a change.
So i am open to ideas from my American friends....please!
Cheers
Richard

If you're going to make a wine sauce, add some beef broth and cream and thicken it to a gravy. I like making a stuffing with cranberries and little chunks of apple and slivered almonds. For a veg I'll do some pickled red onions and cabbage, which serves as veg, as well as a nice little bite with the meat. I usually do some cucumbers, onions, cherry tomatoes, and small chunks of mozzarella cheese in some cider vinegar and oiive oil with salt and pepper to taste as a little side salad.

Rosemary roasted fingerling potatoes!:hump:
That side salad JohnCushman mentioned sounds delicious to go with it.

If you're going to make a wine sauce, add some beef broth and cream and thicken it to a gravy. I like making a stuffing with cranberries and little chunks of apple and slivered almonds. For a veg I'll do some pickled red onions and cabbage, which serves as veg, as well as a nice little bite with the meat. I usually do some cucumbers, onions, cherry tomatoes, and small chunks of mozzarella cheese in some cider vinegar and oiive oil with salt and pepper to taste as a little side salad.

Wow...that sounds phenomenal.

I like to roast some sweet potatoes with herbs and salt. Sometimes an herbed rice pilaf with walnuts, or a mushroom risotto. Roasted asparagus with dill and lemon.

I was gonna say sweet potatoes as well. I also like to wrap my straps in bacon and cook on the grill throwing some light smoke at them.
Yesterday's dinner:
16999216_10154165762125736_4325610583557867747_n.jpg

Ron Swanson would have strong feelings of vegetables at a BBQ. But I think he relented on corn on the cob. I do fresh greenbeans sauteed in butter and garlic.

Rub it down with nestles cocoa powder, espresso grounds, and cayenne pepper and grill it to medium rare. Put some sliced potatoes and onions and chopped garlic in a foil packet with some olive oil and cook it on the grill. And corn on the cob.

I do like roasted brussel sprouts (lard, chopped fresh rosemary & salt).

Maybe even some sautee'd greens (chard, kale, etc) with sliced onions & garlic.

I read this thread too close to dinner. John is making me hungry.

I agree with tarheel about the asparagus. Grilled with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt. And can't go wrong with roasted potatoes ever.

I also like to wrap my backstrap (sliced into chops) with bacon. Your streaky bacon would work great! For a kick, I cut a pocket in the chops and stuff a chunk of cheese inside before wrapping with bacon, then grilling. Another vote for asparagus. A close second is green beans with some chopped bacon and onion stirred in. We don't get too fussy with the taters, a toss-up between baked and fried with mushrooms and onions.

Wish I was there! Would like to try some of that Roe.

Cut the strap into about 1 inch steaks. Get a commercial cajun blackening seasoning. Heat up a cast iron skillet with just a little bit of oil. coat both sides of the steak in the blackening seasoning and put in the hot cast iron. (It's going to smoke like a bitch and smell like it's burning...it's supposed to) Cook for a few minutes on each side until about medium rare. The faces of the steaks will be black with a bit of crust.

In a small pan pour in canned crushed pineapple with juice, chopped peaches with juice, chopped pears with juice and a little bit of spiced rum. Cook on medium heat until the liquid is really thick. Chop up a half of a small onion and a small green bell pepper and add to the fruit and juice. Add in a small jar of chopped pimentos. Plate the blackened steak and put some of the chutney over it. Serve with a side of red beans and rice.

Last edited:
I got a degree in culinary arts between stints in the military. Being a chef was cool while I was single, but being married and having kids and working every night, weekend, and holiday got old. Turned wrenches for a while, worked in corrections, and said screw this and went back in the military.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back