YouTube video - Finding places to hunt in SE Montana

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
As you have seen, this year we are doing YouTube episodes to try lower the hurdles for non-resident hunters wanting to travel and try the hunts they see us doing on the TV show. The primary requests we get on our content, even before the YouTube channel, was information that can lower hurdles for people who are not familiar with what many of us take for granted. That is our goal here, and with many YouTube clips you will see this year when we start explaining the logistics for hunts in AK, NM, CO, WY, and elsewhere.

It started with some of our videos while filming last month in Arizona, then the Montana tag drawing video, and now this one that explains the land agency ownership that is open to public hunting along with the colors those will show on your map. We also explain now to get Block Management information and what the Montana state laws are related to trespassing, something you want to know if you are a non-resident traveling to Southeast Montana, the Region of Montana this video is talking about.

[video=youtube_share;iAMWY8eJ3F4]https://youtu.be/iAMWY8eJ3F4[/video]

Those wanting more precise details will have to do their own homework. Suffice to say, there are millions of acres in Southeast Montana open to public hunting. The high level overview here, along with our Basic Map Reading Skills YouTube video should help. And, if you are incurring the expense for a western big game hunt, the best money you can spend on that hunt is the APP or chips from onXmaps.com. I wouldn't think about hunting without their map system.

A little practice in map reading and the right tools in your hand should make finding a place to hunt in the Region we hunted, Region 7, in southeast Montana, a lower hurdle than you originally thought.

This hunt is totally doable for non residents. We went a few years ago, basically got the forest service map, gps chip and went for it. Camped on forest service land and hunted for 5 days, only saw one other person off the road. We went 3 for 3 on nice mule deer. This is an area with a lot of accessible land, is definitely a place I would like to go back to.

This hunt is totally doable for non residents. We went a few years ago, basically got the forest service map, gps chip and went for it. Camped on forest service land and hunted for 5 days, only saw one other person off the road. We went 3 for 3 on nice mule deer. This is an area with a lot of accessible land, is definitely a place I would like to go back to.

not to be to nosey but what did you have in the trip for a cost?

We only came from Idaho, so about 1400 miles round trip in gas, stayed in our wall tent. I believe the cost of a deer tag was about 550.00. Tons of good places to camp, not much in the direct area for motels.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back