Sitka Pant for September Elk

teej89

Alright guys so last year I got my first Sitka pant, the timberlines and love those things! Definitely going to be using them religiously but they're a bit warm for 50 degree weather, what would you suggest for say September elk? The Ascent or 90% or Mountain pant?

Also I'm assuming these styles will be implemented with the new subalpine camo, I'm waiting for that to come out to pull the trigger on em.

Thanks!

Even though they may be a little too warm they should make it easier to climb the mountains since they lighten your wallet quite a bit.:rolleyes:

I have the Mountain Pants and absolutely love them. My dad has the Ascents and really likes them too. I would probably recommend the Mountain pants due to having the option the put kneepads in, and they seem just like they are made out of a tad more durable material. With how warm it was all season last year, they were the only pants I wore between archery and rifle. I am planning on picking up a pair of Timberlines to use in rifle when we get more normal temps in rifle season. Either way you go, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I do think the 90% would be way too warm for normal archery temps.

I alternate a lot between the ascent and mountains in September, probably wearing the mountains more. The mountains are probably a little warmer than the ascents but not as warm as the timberlines. I also think the mountains are a bit more durable than ascents.

from their website I got the feeling that the mountains seemed a tad more durable than the ascent, i think I'd rather spend the extra cash upfront than going w/ the ascent and tearing thru them and having to buy the mountains shortly after. Thanks for the input guys!

FWIW, I have had my ascent pants for 7 years and they are holding together great. I have not tried the MTN Pant, but the ascents are nice. If it is in the 40's or higher I am in either Ascents or Duluth trading company.

Also, if you buy them in solid colors they are great for everyday wear.

I like both Mountain and Ascent. I stopped wearing my ascents though as any prickly bush went right on through. The Mountains have pretty much eliminated that for me but at the expense of being somewhat heavier and warmer. I did not miss the ascents like I thought I might.

My ascents are good but they are a tad light in the durability department. When it's 70 plus they are fantastic and I can get them down to about 45 with a light baselayer underneath. I do run a bit cold personally but any colder than 40-45 and I gotta really stay moving. I wish I had the mountains or the timberlines, they are more versatile. One of those will be purchased by hunting season.

September = ascents
November = timberline pants

Just vary the baselayer and you'll be fine with ascents for most of the seasons

I love my timberlines, but have always struggled to find the perfect pant for warmer temps (60+ day time high). This September I ran the ascent pants during CO Muzzleloader season and felt they were a pretty good option. I still miss having the knee pads, but those are also exclusive of having good breath-ability. I got the Kuiu alpines trying to find a pant for warmer weather with need pads and its just so so. I ended up using the Ascents almost the whole week of the hunt and leaving the Kuiu alpines and Timberlines in the car. I have too much gear, but I may get the mountain pants for this year.

The 90% pants are quite a few generations old at this point and I don't see much reason to buy them unless you get them on a great deal.

Well, I believe I'm just going to have to buy them both now and compare lol I'm leaning towards the ascents but the durability makes me hesitant. I love my timberlines especially due to their durability.

I used my 90% last Sept. in CO. Friends used Ascent and for cool mornings layered them with long underwear. I used no long underwear with the 90%. I cannot comment on the Timberline or the Mountain as my Mountain pants purchase was much more recent.

I have a pair of ascents that are 7 years old. A few snagged threads, otherwise no durability issues. I bushwhack a bit. Ascents are my preferred pants for Sept. and often Oct. in CO, I just switch base layers according to temps.

I had a pair of ascents and used them one season and sold them. Things that have thorns seem to go right through them like tissue paper. The fabric held up fine, it was my legs underneath that had the issues. It was almost like I was wearing shorts.

The mountain pants are just a little thicker material and seem to protect my shins and knees from the pokey stuff just a little bit better.

I also have a pair of KUIU attack and guide pants and both are just a tiny bit thicker than the Sitka versions. I do find myself wearing the KUIU attack pants quite a bit in early season.

KUIU alpine pants are AWESOME. Just a touch thinner than the attack pants. Hip zips are a must for any early season pants.

Anyone want my ascents in the older forest whitetail pattern? Looking to trade for some mountain pants as I want something with knee pads.

$90 TYD or trade for sitka mountain pants plus I'll throw in some cash. Size 32 In good shape. The pattern is great in the timber for archery elk.

Ascent.jpg

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back