Garmin Inreach Explorer Anyone have one?

windymtnman

I know there's been past posts about the DeLorme Inreach Satellite emergency communication devices, but I haven't seen anything in the last year here, and more specifically, since Garmin bought DeLorme and upgraded their devices.
I'm thinking about buying a Garmin Explorer, just for the ability to communicate and/or activate an emergency beacon where cellular service hasn't a prayer of working. I've read whatever info I can about them, and at this point anyway, not sure an Explorer, with it's GPS mapping capability, will be better than my GPS unit.
Another concern I have, is that with their various subscription plans, I'd opt for the "Freedom plan", wherein you can activate it just for the months you'll use it. So, theoretically, you could be billed $14.95/month, and that would be your total expense for the unit use. I'm concerned that somehow, I'd get a bunch of misc. charges tacked on that I'd be unaware of them being charged out. For example, they can charge .10 per tracking point when you have that feature turned on, and you're laying down a track.
Also, wondering if their pre-loaded map in this unit compares at all with the topo map program in my GPS? I suppose if it was good enough, and easy to use, you could abandon a GPS, and just use the Inreach Explorer?
So, wondering if anyone has the newer Garmin Inreach and how they like it? Is the subscription billing working out to what you expected, or do you get zinged with some overage charges?
If these are all they're cracked up to be, they'd be a great device to have. No more worries at home if you're overdue getting home from a pack trip, etc..

I have a delorme flavored one without GPS functionality. From what I understand after asking Garmin about it the "new" garmin version is just the same device rebranded. I use the freedom plan and do not use tracking points. For me, it is purely a device to communicate with. You can not put an onXmaps chip in them so I still use my 64s.

I have the delorme inreach SE and love it. I do a lot of cross country driving and am in areas without cell service a lot, so I do the yearly plan. It has come in handy a few times when I broke down and was able to coordinate help through my wife back home. With the freedom plans, you have to remember there is a fee to start your monthly service, so see how it averages out versus a yearly plan.

I've had one for the last couple of years and love it. It is peace of mind for the wife when I'm not in cell range.

I have the freedom safety plan (10 messages per month) The fee is $14.95 + $0.39 Fed Cell tax + $0.09 Montana Excise Tax + $0.04 telecom relay surcharge for a monthly total of $15.47. For whatever reason the total varies by as much as $0.25 a month?

One thing that I did not see when DeLorme was a stand alone company is that the $24.95 activation fee is charged annually if you maintain service under the Freedom plan. So check your math to see if you want an annual plan or freedom plan. For me it may actually be cheaper to have the annual plan.

By my math it looks like 8 months is the break even point so if you suspend your service for 4 months a year you pay the same as the yearly plan if you are talking the lowest level plan. I hadn't seen the yearly program charge before either. Looks like I'll switch over to the yearly plan since I haven't suspended my service since I bought the unit. I keep saying that I will but then I have a use for the thing like going for a backcountry ski etc.

I have one, good piece of mind when out by yourself or without phone service. Never know when a vehicle will break down or a snap an ankle. Cheap insurance in my mind.

I have one as well. Definitely came in handy this past year just sending text to the wife to let her know I was okay. Happy that I haven't had to test the SOS feature. Love the earthmate app that comes with it.

I also like that I can post a 6-hour interval track log to Facebook and only my wife has access to that.

Don't want public broadcast of my favorite hunting spots, but if I get in trouble my wife knows where I am located.

By my math it looks like 8 months is the break even point so if you suspend your service for 4 months a year you pay the same as the yearly plan if you are talking the lowest level plan. I hadn't seen the yearly program charge before either. Looks like I'll switch over to the yearly plan since I haven't suspended my service since I bought the unit. I keep saying that I will but then I have a use for the thing like going for a backcountry ski etc.

Yup that's me. I don't ski but I ice fishing...mostly alone (I'm considered super single in some circles ;)) so having an SOS or a line of communication to my folks is dang important.

Last edited:
I've got the Explorer and it's awesome. You have to be damn careful though that you don't accidentally send an SOS request..... Just about had search and rescue sent out for me. Was lucky I checked it when I did.

My wife picked up an InReach SE for me a few weeks ago. So far I love it. It's doing everything it is supposed to and the Earthmate app is handy also. I love how I can pair it with my phone and just keep it in my pack and use my phone. It gives both of us some piece of mind when I'm out of cell range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back