Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

lead sled or sandbags?

Bulls bag (X bag) and a P.A.S.T recoil shield for the thumpers.

Lead sled seems like cheating. :)

I own and use a lead sled, but don't use any lead bags or weight. Its handy with AR platforms as the magazine clears where it doesn't on my other rest. I also sometimes use a bipod on front and sandbag at the rear or both leather front & rear bags with boards up front under the bag to get the height I need.

I have read information by Craig Boddington that says to always shoot a hard kicker w/o the Lead Sled as the point of impact will be different with the sled than without it.

I've used a Lead Sled, but I didn't care for the feel (or lack thereof) when shooting from a bench. Good front and rear bags work well and provide a stable platform especially, if you plan to use them for as your primary rest for benchrest work. Recently, I purchased a Caldwell Stinger rest for sighting-in a target rifle. Mark the front feet of the rest with masking tape and it is as good as any rest I've used for sighting in a rifle. Along with my front and rear bags, I plan to continue to use the Caldwell Stinger rest general shooting off bench.

Lead sled for me. With bags of shot weighing the sled down under the turret. Does provide a more stable platform for shooting. Rarely get a "flyer" round as am sighting in a new scope or checking zero. In the field, I typically use my backpack if not able to find a handy tree with a stiff limb about shoulder height. I also use one adjustable walking stick if the terrain is moderate to flat and then two walking sticks if in the steep, nasty alpine stuff. I have a "v" on the top of one of the walking sticks and use it for a shooting platform. I shot a lot of animals off-hand years ago. Not anymore. Steady makes me ready.

I have both. Bought the lead sled when I first bought my Kimber 325wsm. I have always used my bags, both purchased and home made bags. I prefer bags 99% of the time, but the lead sled is really good at eliminating the flinch factor. If I could only choose one, it would be my bags.

FH

I have always used the lead sled but recently I bought some bags from Bob Wards and I was very pleased with how steady they were and how well I shot off of them. With the sled it was always awkward to try and get on the rifle correct. Both work extremely well for me but being a cheap college kid, the bags were more economical for me.

You will shot better groups with sand bags. I do a lot of shooting and the only thing I use my lead sled for is to hold my rifle while I clean it. I try to shot my rifle like I was out in the field. though I don't carry sand bags with me in the field, you can use your pack or coats in the place of sand bags.

Have shot off bags for years, but after using a friends, recently purchased a lead sled, Cabelas had them for $69 on sale. I think it will easily pay for itself in ammunition during the sight in process, considering some of the stuff I shoot goes for $3 a shot or more. It will be used for sight in only. We still have to know how to shoot from field positions and improvised rests.

I was stunned at the POI changes when I used a Lead Sled. My rifle groups would do very weird things and open up a lot so I only do sand bags for sighting in or developing loads now.

Maybe some sort of harmonics thing?

I was stunned at the POI changes when I used a Lead Sled. My rifle groups would do very weird things and open up a lot so I only do sand bags for sighting in or developing loads now.

Maybe some sort of harmonics thing?

agree with this 100%. my groups in the lead sled typically are higher then when I shot on sand bags.(thus is the reason I don't use lead sleds) in my opinion I think its due to not letting the gun come back as your shoulder would take the impact and the gun kicks up. I haven't noticed it as bad at closer distance as much has longer rangers. watch your scopes on lead sleds as well. I know guys that ruined their scopes on them.

A couple groups. Well three. 5 shot groups. Shot off a rest and rear bag. .300 RUM pushing a 200 grain Accubond 3200 fps. Rifle weighs about 8 pounds all up with sling and 4 rounds in it. No brake so it has a little snort to it. These are zero checks before season. No sled required. Kills elk dead. mtmuley

Attachments

• 20170227_174924_resized.jpg
    20170227_174924_resized.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 20170227_175151_resized.jpg
    20170227_175151_resized.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 20170227_175109_resized.jpg
    20170227_175109_resized.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
That top pic shows one of the best groups I've fired in any rifle at 100 yards. mtmuley

Regarding point of impact off lead sled being different than bags.
I'm guessing that would just about have to be due to the way your eye is positioned to the scope? Can't imagine the gun actually shoots differently from one rest to the next?

A couple groups. Well three. 5 shot groups. Shot off a rest and rear bag. .300 RUM pushing a 200 grain Accubond 3200 fps. Rifle weighs about 8 pounds all up with sling and 4 rounds in it. No brake so it has a little snort to it. These are zero checks before season. No sled required. Kills elk dead. mtmuley

Wow muley, great shooting. You almost hit that dime every time !! Keep trying. Just kidding- those are great groups, and looks like you found a load your rifle likes.

Wow muley, great shooting. You almost hit that dime every time !! Keep trying. Just kidding- those are great groups, and looks like you found a load your rifle likes.

Same load for about 14 years now. Like I said, it's a pretty deadly rifle. mtmuley

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back