Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bear recipes

Idahoarcheryhunter

With spring bear approaching I figured it would be a good time to see what everybody else likes to do with bear meat. I personally stick to the traditional route of sausages. What does everybody else like to use it for?

My wife has liked bear stew and BBQ pulled bear roasts. Gerald did an awesome roast overnight on low heat on veggies with beef stock and wine. Randy11 made some awesome bear tacos in chili verde. There's not a whole lot of steak options with it needing to be well done, but there is still things you can do to keep it moist.

I have had one chance to test bear meat. It was a spring bear from Alaska. I made a bunch of summer sausage for the owner and he gave me a roast to try. We cooked it in a slow cooker exactly how we would have cooked beef, deer, etc. It turned out fantastic and it tasted as good as any meat that I have had.

When doing a bear roast low and slow for a long time is key. There is a lot of collagen between the muscle fibers that needs to be broken down before it gets tender. The roast will be cooked thoroughly within a couple hours. It will take 6-8 hours to get it super tender.

Another fan of slow roasting for pulled BBQ sandwiches and shredded bear burritos. Chorizo bear sausage links are awesome too! May cannot get here soon enough!

When doing a bear roast low and slow for a long time is key. There is a lot of collagen between the muscle fibers that needs to be broken down before it gets tender. The roast will be cooked thoroughly within a couple hours. It will take 6-8 hours to get it super tender.

Whatever he says is well worth the weight in gold, diamonds or whatever... That roast from 2013 or 14 spring was flat out incredible!

I had the hams from the last bear I killed smoked just as you would a pork ham. Turned out fantastic. The rest made it into stews and roasted dishes. mtmuley

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back