MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

lake Sutherland turkey hunt near Ramona ca

redduck

Hey Yall,

I got the draw for turkey season opener at lake Sutherland and I picked the Corral section. I am wondering if anybody has hunted this before and if so any tips I should know about hunting this area? also, This would be the first time i hunted turkeys as a adult, so any turkey hunting tips in general would be appreciated.

best,
Redduck

Probably have better luck checking on local sites. From what I hear it can be a good hunt.

Hey Yall,

I got the draw for turkey season opener at lake Sutherland and I picked the Corral section. I am wondering if anybody has hunted this before and if so any tips I should know about hunting this area? also, This would be the first time i hunted turkeys as a adult, so any turkey hunting tips in general would be appreciated.

best,
Redduck

Redduck,

This was my third year in a row not getting drawn. I'd suggest checking out schoutdoors.com and theoutdoorsforum.com, mostly local guys that have done it before.

the rest of the story...

NWTF puts on a turkey hunt at The Sutherland Lake turkey hunt is a lottery. This Hunt is a Blessing because hunting in Southen California can be very limited. If you are fortunate enough to get picked you need to do some research. I have never turkey hunted before, so I learned the basics from some articles on the net, books, and other hunters. I Purchased a couple of decoys and found an old box call someone gave me a couple of years ago.I had to buy a rec permit to scout out the area the day before, and I found the roost. I set up my decoys about 15 yards from me and 100 yards out from the roost. Legal Shoot time was at 615am. I heard the gobbler gobble, and then I saw the gobbler 90 yards out. I made a few yelps with my box call, and the gobbler came right in. The Gobbler attacked my Jake decoy made by Primos, and that's when I took my shot at 645-7am. I enjoyed the whole experience and found my new hobby for the spring and fall.

Sounds like a classic spring morning.....congratulations again.

It is an amazing sight to get to see a tom coming in intent on mayhem, and your decoy attacking bird certainly read and followed the script for you.

redduck, glad to see you got it done.

I found some in CNF this year but never got a bearded one in range.

Back