Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

SE Wyoming LE units

jtm307

I still have not hunted for bulls in the eastern part of the state. This fall I'm sticking closer to home in unit 6, 7, or 11. At the risk of giving these units more publicity and therefore more applications, does anyone have hunting experience in these units and could give me some pros and cons? I plan on bow hunting (for the first time) and rifle hunting. I am not looking for a large bull. I'm looking for opportunity more than anything else.

Unit 6 has access problems.

Units 7 and 11 are both solid areas, if you draw there's good hunting in both. From an access standpoint I would go 11, 7, 6. Bull quality I would go 7, 11, 6.

Unit 6 has access problems.

That's my primary concern with 6. After scouring the internet, it seems there are plenty of elk in the national forest, they're just spread out and tough to find. Do you think this paints too rosy a picture? I've personally never seen elk in the national forest in 6. If I drew 7, I would mainly hunt the two WHMA's due to their proximity. Do you think that's a reasonable plan? I have another spot in mind as well, but I don't want to publicize it.

The thing about 7 that's challenging is all the cow hunters. The good thing is, its a nice long season so you get to hunt it a lot. The elk in 7 are pretty nomadic...here today, gone tomorrow. I don't know that I would limit myself to two WHMA's, there's a lot of public in that unit. Its more about spending time, covering as many areas as you can, that will lead to success.

No doubt there are issues with access, elk getting on private, all that. But, with the season length, if you have the time to spend...just killing a bull isn't that tough.

Lots of truth to that...and lots of people are still applying on the memories of what it was in the late 90's.

Its a solid unit, but you're going to work, pay, or get lucky to touch 350...

Although I haven't hunted it myself, I know plenty who have and had success. Due to a new baby I'll be sticking closer the Cheyenne and putting in for 7 over other units due to access reasons. I know a few ranchers in unit 6 and 7 and talked them both for pros and cons, got a ton of info I can pass along if you want or need it. My reasons for 7 is length of seasons, high chance to draw multiple tags, and access. Like BuzzH mentioned, a lot of cow tags are issued for 7, but for the vast majority of the people i know who hunt 7 for cow wait until rifle opens up. I'm primarily a bow hunter so that was nice to hear and will be bow hunting up there this fall.

I've gone 2 for 2 on area 6 tags.

Never had a problem finding elk on the national forest, cameras are always loaded with them. I put in for area 6 because of a new addition to the family as well, wifey seemed to like having me home every night.

Lots of road hunters but at least they were nice enough to offer me a ride back to my truck when we'd run in to each other. Even had an offer to go to the Bunkhouse for some beers which I had to politely decline.

Have a friend who drew area 7 a couple years back and he didn't enjoy that hunt too much because they were somewhere up there with lots of checkerboard that was tough to navigate.

That being said, Buzz is your best source for information on those areas.

wifey seemed to like having me home every night.

Ditto

I don't know that I would limit myself to two WHMA's, there's a lot of public in that unit. Its more about spending time, covering as many areas as you can, that will lead to success.

If I get a tag for 7, I'll certainly heed your advice. Do you know how the Shirley Basin HMA compares to other HMA's in the unit?

I know a few ranchers in unit 6 and 7 and talked them both for pros and cons, got a ton of info I can pass along if you want or need it. My reasons for 7 is length of seasons, high chance to draw multiple tags, and access.

I'll take any info you're willing to give. I've had an area 7 cow tag before. It was a super easy hunt, helped by the fact that I had access to a small private ranch. We saw a really big bull all by himself. I'll put in for area 7 as a third choice cow tag, probably area 9-6 as my first.

I've only hunted 11, but I liked it. The thick timber made it frustrating at times (I kept bumping elk before I saw them), but it also made for fun close encounters.

I've only hunted 11, but I liked it. The thick timber made it frustrating at times (I kept bumping elk before I saw them), but it also made for fun close encounters.

That was my experience in the Wind Rivers. It was a great time. I'm leaning toward 11, but I've got lots of time to think, research and acquire advice.

I figure someone out there might benefit from my updating this thread now that the "bull" season is coming to a close in area 7. I put in for a type 1 tag but ended up drawing a type 4 tag as my second choice. I haven't filled my tag yet, but 2 of the 3 days I've hunted, I've focused on finding bulls with friends who have type 1 tags. A guy would have to stay home in order to not see elk, and if you get out of your vehicle, there's no reason you shouldn't fill a tag if you're not too picky. If I had a type 1 tag, I could have notched it every day I was out. I probably laid eyes on a couple dozen bulls total. At least half of them were spikes. 2 were 6x6. One was small, the other was 300+ inches. I think he was a lot bigger (330 maybe), but my lack of experience warrants a more conservative estimate. Only once so far could I have filled my cow tag, but we were focused on bulls AND over 2 miles from the truck, as the crow flies, in some pretty steep country. My friend did kill his bull on that day. We were seeing elk all day long. I was looking for a unit with no lack of opportunity to kill a bull and this was it. From what I've seen, however, if I were a NR, I would not take the time to accumulate enough points to draw this unit for a DIY public land bull hunt UNLESS I was willing to hunt cows for a decade.

Thanks for the report. Much to think about before the application period!!

Back