MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Something for the ice fishermen

Video demonstrates why I never drive on the ice. You wouldn't believe the people who won't go fishing here in Wisconsin unless they can drive on. I guess walking is just that painful to some folks these days

10 years ago I went down on an atv 2 miles from shore after dark and almost died. My gloves froze to the ice slab, allowing my to pull myself out of the water a third time. Thank God I did not go down again. The hypothermia kept me warm until I got to shore, but wouldn't let me talk coherently when I found a house with someone home.

A few years ago I was sitting in my shack watching a truck cruise across the lake exactly like the video, and it went down exactly like the video. I got there in time to help pull the guys out and then watch it disappear. After the truck sank out of sight a photo of one of the guys' family floated to the surface and we scooped it out.

I've been involved in the recovery of multiple sunk houses and it's not a fun job. I also joined in on a SCUBA crew that recovers vehicles under the ice. It took me one dive under 24" of ice to realize it just wasn't my cup of tea.

These days I prefer to be on a snowmobile when I'm on a lake. At least you can stay on top of the water if you get in trouble. I also wear a flotation suit with ice picks in the pocket 100% of the time.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back