MT Elk advice/First Choice caliber HDs

Badger_55

Looking for some advice on MT elk and applying. I am very happy with the general zones in the state but I want to try and throw in for that HD that is first choice caliber. One that if I do happen to draw it's worth dropping all my scouting and time that I have in my general zone and going all in on a lucky draw/ or just being happy with another bonus point in the bank. I've seen a lot of people seek that 380 tag... I've heard alot about the Breaks (worried about access)... Really want to enjoy getting on the horse and not dealing with a ton of people. I've been playing around on Go Hunt alot.. I have some favorites but figured I'd reach out and maybe see what others may have experienced and thought...

Thanks

What HDs did gohunt recommend? Odds are really slim for a nonresident to draw a limited tag in Montana, but there are people who seem to draw with a few bonus points.

If you want to "buy a raffle ticket" for a limited entry draw that would make you happy to drop the rest of your plans, I would suggest some of the units in Central or Eastern Montana. Some access issues, but every unit has enough public land to make a good go of it. And, the age class is protected by the limited tags and the access issues.

380, Breaks, or any other limited entry you can't go wrong with any. I'd pick one closer to me to make it easier to scout and get there. FWIW, the P&Y record wasn't killed in either 380 or the Breaks.

Or you can buy some super tag chances, then you can hunt anywhere in the state if you win! I'm not going to tell you what district I apply for, there are to many people applying for it already! haha. my dad drew a 380 tag with no bonus points once, but that was also 15 years ago. The bearpaw mountains are becoming a popular spot, and it has some good bulls as well.

Last edited:
No such place known as the bearpaw mountains...BEARS PAW.

Now would that be possessive? As in that Bear's Paw smacked me good.

Or would it be plural...All of the bears paw at the ground?

Now would that be possessive? As in that Bear's Paw smacked me good.

Or would it be plural...All of the bears paw at the ground?

Not sure, but I'm in possession of a lot of time spent hunting that mountain range...

Thanks for the responses... haha that's pretty much what I am getting at with the "raffle ticket". I got a taste of Montana last year and I am hooked. Go hunt numbers point to alot of the Breaks hds and 380 of course seeing greater than 10000 apps for that every year. That south east section of the state entices me... found some good sheds that way. Wouldn't mind chasing those boys around with good deer numbers.

So still kicking things around.. I'm narrowing down the "raffle ticket" for 380 vs 704 rifle. Any thoughts?? I know the Breaks are highly talked about but I really want that adventure of camping out and riding in the mountains. I also know that Custer national forest is pretty sweet too. I think I answering my own question here and just going to be the 10000 plus people that want a 380 tag!

I had the Custer rifle tag in 2011. Its a tough hunt. Found some elk but nothing big. It's not a slam dunk and its gonna be a tough draw from here on out.

I've done some asking around about 704. It is intriguing, I don't know if this will help but you can also try the archery tag (900 I believe ). Better draw odds, 22 or so units including 700s. I have no idea if 704 would be worth a try during archery season, any thoughts?

My bet is that the draw odd this year will look nothing like those form last year. Just look at the number of recent threads posted on hunt talk looking for advice on SE MT.
Elk hunting in 704 is hit or miss. You may find the best bull of your life or you my hunt hard for a week and not even see an elk.

Thanks for the recommendation on the archery tag but my dad only rifle hunts and this is our trip. I'd probably be intrigued by the Breaks but the idea of checkerboard lands and not being able to camp in the national forest kind of turns me off to that area.
If I were to draw in 704 I'd try down West of Broadus in the edge of Custer. Sounds like alot of people will be chasing a ghost bull. Anyone know which part of the district that was shot in? Also wasn't their a mega bull shot over by Nye in archery?

I am not that familiar with the Breaks, but I have never had the impression that checkerboard ownership was much of a problem on most of the Breaks..

Thanks for the recommendation on the archery tag but my dad only rifle hunts and this is our trip. I'd probably be intrigued by the Breaks but the idea of checkerboard lands and not being able to camp in the national forest kind of turns me off to that area.
If I were to draw in 704 I'd try down West of Broadus in the edge of Custer. Sounds like alot of people will be chasing a ghost bull. Anyone know which part of the district that was shot in? Also wasn't their a mega bull shot over by Nye in archery?

I'm not sure what your concern is with checkerboard land and not being able to camp. You can camp on the CMR Refuge, you can camp on BLM lands, both of which are abundant in the Missouri Breaks.

Antlerrader nailed it.

If you have horses go 380 - easy to get away from the crowds.

Breaks and 704 not so much.

Ok. Yeah I have never been out there and just reading some information about the Breaks that is what I had just read is all. Thank you for helping clarify that for me. Who knows maybe I will be fortunate enough to archery hunt it sometime.

If you draw the 380 tag then go out and buy a Powerball ticket also, you've got about the same chance of drawing. Unless you're going to hunt 380 for spike bulls and cows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back