Where they stand

Wyatt G

Finally found where my senator stands, officially anyway, i pretty much knew that he's not good for public lands before this email. I've sent him many emails concerning public land issues and he's always danced around the subject in replies not really stating what he believes. A couple weeks ago i sent him an email and i got this reply today.

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on H.J. Res. 44 and the Bureau of Land Management’s (BLM) new rule, known as "Planning 2.0."

As you may know, the BLM manages roughly 245 million acres of federal land across the United States. Under the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (FLPMA), the BLM is required to develop "Resource Management Plans" in partnership with state, local, and tribal governments to manage these vast and diverse public lands. These Resource Management Plans are land use plans that determine all future land and resource management actions implemented by the BLM.

This midnight regulation, issued on December 12, 2016, by the outgoing Obama Administration, goes directly against what Congress intended under the FLPMA. Under Planning 2.0, the authority over these land use plans is taken away from those who have the most experience overseeing their resources. Instead, Planning 2.0 centralizes power with Washington bureaucrats by empowering any member of the public to have the same level of input, regardless of the accuracy of their science or feasibility of their proposals. Under this new structure, radical environmentalist groups based in Washington, for example, could hold an even more influential position in the process than local participants.

On February 7, 2017, the House of Representatives passed H.J. Res. 44, a resolution of disapproval of the BLM Planning 2.0 Rule. Under the authority of the Congressional Review Act [Public Law No: 104-121], if this resolution is passed by the Senate and signed into law, the rule would have no force or effect and any rule that is "substantially the same" in form would be prohibited from being enacted.

Like you, I believe our public lands should be managed in a responsible and sustainable manner. These resources provide opportunities for recreation, preserve many wildlife species, and support local economies. Unfortunately too often, federal agencies cannot properly manage their current land holdings and leave local communities and land owners out of the decision-making process. This hurts the economy and livelihood of many Americans, especially in rural areas. That is why I believe our local citizens should have the primary voice in the usage of federal lands in their states. Please know I agree with you that our country must seek a balanced approach to land management and I will keep your views in mind when H.J. Res. 44 is considered in the U.S. Senate.

Again, thank you for contacting me to share your views. Please visit www.boozman.senate.gov to sign up for my e-newsletter, request assistance with a federal agency, or learn more about my efforts on behalf of the people of Arkansas. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

John Boozman
U.S. Senator

so where do you're senators/representatives stand, especially curious if there are many eastern/southern states with republicans that are pro public land.

I don't know if Boozman or Cotton would vote for PLT but they certainly don't seem like public land advocates.

However, they aren't going anywhere. We will have them around until they decide to quit. And they will probably be replaced by another Republican. Yeah, I know Cotton's town hall in NWA was a mess, but he will win huge majorities from the rest of the state come next election.

My plan is to continue to lobby for federal lands as a conservative constituent. That way they can't dismiss me as an outsider liberal. Also, I think there may be room at the state level to start a movement against PLT. In fact, Gov Hutchinson has promoted Arkansas tourism, particularly outdoor tourism, since he has been in office. We should discuss these matters with our state reps and senators when they knock on the door (as some of them actually do). Perhaps we may have some advocates for the next time there is some turnover at the federal level.

Another thing. While AR is considered an "eastern" state, we have a relatively large amount of federal land (9.4% I believe). Some of the best hunting is on federal land in the Ouachitas and Ozarks. It would be a significant burden for the state to manage those lands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back