Caribou Gear

For those who think the Nature Conservancy is anti-hunting

I read an article by TNC's chief scientist (?) in their quarterly publication, Nature. He went deer hunting (in MT?) and had a very unique perspective on the hunt. I became a member that day and have seen no sign of anti-hunter in their publication since. Except one time an article pointed to over-hunting as one of the causes of wildlife scarcity in the early 1900s and I wrote a letter to the editor pointing out that they should have specified "market hunting" or "unregulated hunting." My letter was published and they acknowledged the error.

I have not been there since 2011, but the Emiquon preserves goal was to bring water in from the Illinois River into their wetland to help depollute some of the water.

Yeah, depollute the river of all the asian carp lol. I know former IDNR fisheries chief Conklin was very against the Corps opening Emiquon to the river.

No doubt TNC has done tremendous good for habitat and generally allows recreational access to their properties when circumstances allow. They have taken anti-hunting positions in the past, however. TNC was one of the drivers behind the ban on hunting mountain lions in California that passed many years ago. I wrote to the leadership at the time to ask what conservation interest could possibly support a ban on hunting an abundant species and why the TNC has apparently joined an animal rights cause, and received no reponse. In their defense that was many years ago, and maybe their thinking has evevolved. Traditional environmental groups like TNC and the Sierra Club make it hard for hunters and anglers to collaborate with them when they move away from conservation and toward animal rights ideology.

No doubt TNC has done tremendous good for habitat and generally allows recreational access to their properties when circumstances allow. They have taken anti-hunting positions in the past, however. TNC was one of the drivers behind the ban on hunting mountain lions in California that passed many years ago. I wrote to the leadership at the time to ask what conservation interest could possibly support a ban on hunting an abundant species and why the TNC has apparently joined an animal rights cause, and received no reponse. In their defense that was many years ago, and maybe their thinking has evevolved. Traditional environmental groups like TNC and the Sierra Club make it hard for hunters and anglers to collaborate with them when they move away from conservation and toward animal rights ideology.

Weren't they a main driver and beneficiary behind the $30M in annual habitat funding that was required by prop 117?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back