Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

For those who think the Nature Conservancy is anti-hunting

The second turkey I killed was on TNC property while accompanied by a couple of TNC employees that also killed turkeys on that property. That said, not all nature conservancy properties allow hunting and I'm sure they employ people that are not pro hunting.

Not a big fan but, have worked with them on several issues.
They are co-protestants in our fight against the Augustine Plains Water Grab.

...as long as they don't fill the air with patuli oil too much.I'm cool.

TNC has done some amazing work in Montana. Big landscape level projects are hard to complete and they've done some really good ones.

Our family ranch borders TNC property here in Wyoming. They like working with neighbors and are concerned with maintaining habitat for the wildlife. They are not anti-hunting, but they can be bound by details of the easement agreement.

TNC has deep pockets and can often purchase a property quickly, and hold it while a state arranges for funding to be organized.

I had to take an extra year of college because of TNC. They only allowed duck hunting during the week at Emiquon Preserve and I made sure to be there! Pressure was low and there was lots of area for waterfowl, we got a lot of ducks!

In Montana, I would say that The Nature Conservancy is the most gracious "private" landowner in the state when it comes to hunting.

I'd agree with this. They do have some areas (Chotea) that they are kind of stingy on, but otherwise any TNC land I've seen, I've been able to hunt it.

I had to take an extra year of college because of TNC. They only allowed duck hunting during the week at Emiquon Preserve and I made sure to be there! Pressure was low and there was lots of area for waterfowl, we got a lot of ducks!

Very good fishing too. Has the Corps ruined it yet with river access?

I'd agree with this. They do have some areas (Chotea) that they are kind of stingy on, but otherwise any TNC land I've seen, I've been able to hunt it.
I think the Pine Butte Swamp preserve is a bit more difficult to access as it's one of the only prairie habitat in the country with a native griz population. I did chat with a guy a few years ago who worked up there and he said elk hunting was allowed in fairly limited numbers. I never followed up on gaining access.

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative...placesweprotect/pine-butte-swamp-preserve.xml

Pine Butte is on a lottery system for deer & elk. Great spot with stellar hunting. I believe that the Matador is on the same system.

IMG_0531.jpg

I shot this bull on TNC land a few years ago.

Poor picture. I was alone and it was steeeeeeeep

There are a number of private landowners equally gracious with access. Stoltze is one that comes to mind.

At one time, Plumb Creek had roughly 1 million acres enrolled in block management. Good neighbors.

There are some combined TNC/FWP easements that are great elk hunting west of Helena as well.

I am pleasantly surprised by the response here. This is not what I hear when the topic is broached locally with hunters. TNC owns a large swath of shrub-steppe that they used to allow hunting on, but have closed do to concerns of hunters shooting sage grouse (state listed species). But it's only made the State land around it even better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back