Pickup bed camper help

flyingvmt

Not sure if this is the best forum on here for this, but I did not see a DIY forum or the like so anyways.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has rigged up their pickup bed with a topper to base camp out of it more or less.....I have researched all the different ideas, and have decided to go with a single sleeping platform on one side just flush with the wheel well to maximize head room while sitting up. Then use the other side to store and haul storage totes with gear, clothing, food, and camping supplies not to mention a cooler as well.

My main question I guess is how to best insulate the bed floor to help keep a barrier from the cold ass metal underneath. Currently I am thinking about the foam insulation board with a sheet of 1/2" plywood on top of that secured with some self tappers to the bed. Then I can utilize the plywood "floor" to attach the sleeping platform securely and put some astro turf or outdoor carpet for more insulation.

Anyone have any input/experience that would help me with this? Not looking to spend many nights in there as I'd rather sleep in my tent closer to where I will be hunting, but on the nights I drive out after work for my weekend warrior trips I think it might be more comfy and restful than the backseat of my pickup......I hope . :/

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I've thought about doing this as well. The main reason that I haven't is that I can't seem to keep the damn dust out. No matter how much I try to stop up all of the holes, everything back there is always covered in dust.

I sleep in mine in a pinch,insulated, reinforced,carpeted Snugtop. But prefer a tent as basecamp. I just have to take everything out to sleep anyway usually.

And there is the NM dust......it gets inside of everything ,.....and I mean everything!

I have used mine on a few occasions for this purpose. I have a rubber bed liner on the floor (it stays in the bed permanently) and it does help insulate. I used an old door that I cut down for my sleeping platform.

Put a plywood shelf across the front, cab side, of your pickup bed. You can sleep under it longways and put your stuff on it. We put a couple of 2x4's across the bed rails and a piece of plywood on top for a nice shelf for hauling stuff or dogs to ride and lie on.

I bought rubber tailgate sealer and it helped tremendously on keeping dust out. You can get it on Amazon for under $30. Then find all the bed drains, seal them. Mine stays pretty dang clean of dust. I have a long bed so a full size cot works perfect, then gear on the other side. I did it last year on a solo elk hunt for a week, perfect when you are by yourself and mobile in minutes. I don't have any insulation, just a bed liner, I don't think it's necessary...tents aren't insulated. Throw a buddy heater in there if you want.

Put all your gear in the back in heavy duty plastic totes as well as cooler and other gear. At night park, unload gear and put the few items that aren't waterproof or in waterproof containers under the truck and then put your sleeping pad and bag in the back and you're good to go. Done it this way for years and have over 100 days slept in there. Sure dust gets in but you're out hunting so it's not like you're really expecting everything to stay perfectly clean.

Put a plywood shelf across the front, cab side, of your pickup bed. You can sleep under it longways and put your stuff on it. We put a couple of 2x4's across the bed rails and a piece of plywood on top for a nice shelf for hauling stuff or dogs to ride and lie on.

This is what I do. A heavy duty action packer fits underneath that holds the jack, tire chains, tow straps, emergency kit, etc. When I want to sleep I just turn the action packer sideways, lay my sleeping pad along side of it. Gear goes on the plywood shelf or stacks on top the action packer. I keep clothes, backpack, etc in back seat of truck to keep a bit cleaner. I don't spend a ton of nights a year sleeping this way but for the times I do it works fine.

On cold nights the truck bed is quite cold, even with a rubber bed mat. But I've found I don't notice it affecting my comfort level if I use a good sleeping pad.

Last edited:
Like Bobs idea, I have a bed rug. It keeps the dust to a minimum and is cozy to sleep on. Either move stuff to one side or just put it outside for the night. I slept back there down to 15 at night. Just make sure you open a window to prevent condensation. I use a buddy heater to warm up the mornings and evenings. I have a battery operated CO detector i put back there just in case.

Great points! I forgot about the dust factor.....looking at dust seals now. I had figured on just going kalipto with a tube of silicone for gaps/holes and such.

Cabelas used to sell a pickup bed cot that attached to the side rail of the bed and when not in use it just folded up out of the way, I don't know if the still sell them.
Like montana_bow said putting your gear in totes makes getting your stuff in and out very fast and easy.

When I did what you are thinking I just used a 4" foam mattress out of an old tent trailer. Rolled it up under the shelf I put on the front half of the bed. Gear stacked on the shelf, legs under the shelf, head by the tailgate. moved stuff off the shelf to the bed when driving around.

This is how my wife and I camped for nearly all our hunting this year. When its the two of us, we have a futon mattress in there. All gear goes in coolers or totes. At night, throw down a tarp, put the coolers/totes on it, wrap it over them. In the morning, put them back in the truck, put the tarp in a tote, and you're all packed up ready to go wherever. We did this down to 8 degrees during her elk hunt. Having a light wired in the back is very nice.

If you're solo, a pickup bed is big enough that you really don't need to overthink it. Stuff on one side, cot mattress on the other. Done!

Edit: Definitely put down a rug or something similar on the metal bed! The shelf up against the cab is a great idea, too, and we would do it, but my wife likes to have her head by the cab. Sealing up near the tailgate is also a very good idea.

20160902_203608.jpg

Last edited:
A roof rack & basket helps keep the back somewhat clear too.
I use totes,empty coolers for boots & gear & meat later, waterproof canoe gear bag.
I am using a Tacoma & I can fit in all closed up if I take some stuff out & cover.
I do usually camp this way till I find a place for base or if it is a new area and I can move quick.
Otherwise it is a base camp w/tent & ability to go to several spots a day.

I spent a good 15 nights in my bed last yr. It's nice to have camp with you and stop where you leave. I have a heavy duty Snug top with carpet lining with a full Bedrug. Then a self inflating 2in air mattress. Sleep like a baby. Led lighting is nice as well as limo tint on the windows for those full moon nights. I keep stuff in totes and in the back seat to save me a spot to sleep. The bed rug seals up the bed to keep dust out.

My grandfather would camp in his truck back in the 1960s and 70s. Was always a Chevy with camper shell on the back. He would run 4 or 5 2x4s across the railing side to side then lay a 3/4" plywood sheet over that and then put a 4" foam pad on that. Slept good in chilly air on the pad which held warmth. He was not a tall man. Slid gear under the plywood layer. Put gear on the ply wood layer and gear on the back portion of the truck bed where the plywood did not extend. Cooked on a Coleman stove he would set on the tailgate. The camper shell kept out the skeeters in the summer and the rain and snow. He only owned 2WD so do not venture too far into the Colorado back county and never intentionally spent the night away from the truck when hunting.

I have slept in the back seat of a crew cab on a night so cold would wake up and need to start the engine to blow heater air and the slider windows on the back of the cab froze open when I had cracked them 1/2" then condensation iced them so could not move them. Was hitting near 0F at night and was quite windy. Never could stretch my legs out but was okay for sleeping at the truck.

I drove a Ford Escape for years and slept a few nights with the front of the truck pointed up a steep incline then sat in the driver's seat reclined so was almost flat. Add a cover mask for the eyes and slip into a sleeping bag as was a better deal than the club cab mentioned above. My favorite way to sleep in the escape was to lay diagonally in the back with the seats flat. I would put most of my gear in plastic bins so could shift things and set some outside as was getting the sleeping pad and bag ready each night.

I like camping in a bivvy tent. And, I like a motel with hot water. Sleeping in a truck or SUV is not that ideal though some hunts are not near a motel and there are so many roads that to bivvy does not gain you much breathing room.

I built a platform with three 2x10's going lengthwise (one along each wheel well and one down the middle. i store smaller gear underneath such as cooking equipment, camp chairs, shovel, etc. Put a 3/4" plywood sheet on top and then just stapled some old carpet to the top. it makes the bed a bit wider b/c you don't have to deal with the wheel wells, but you do lose some room at the cab end of the bed underneath the platform, When my GF and I camp, we have a memory foam mattress that we sleep on, but when I'm hunting I have a cot pad that I put down one side. I sleep next to the coolers, water jugs, etc. I think I'd like to make a single platform on one side and have another that I can take in and out when I want. We'll see about that. I don't spend a ton of nights in the back during hunting season as I like to hike in and setup camp, but it is very nice to have a place to crash after a long drive on a Friday night after work. You can always just throw a cot in the bed as well.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back