Caribou Gear

New Mexico Valle Vidal turkey hunt!!!!

Lostinthewoods

The turkey and bear draws came out today and I drew the Valle Vidal tag!!!!
I am so flipping excited about this hunt and April can't come fast enough.

Good luck out there. That is a beautiful place.

Thank you! Im very excited to finally see it.
I've hunted units around Valle Vidal and even areas close to it(Colin Neblett), but I've never ventured into there.

I plan on taking lots of pictures and hopefully leaving with a bird. :D

Last edited:
The turkey and bear draws came out today and I drew the Valle Vidal tag!!!!
I am so flipping excited about this hunt and April can't come fast enough.

Congrats!!! I struck out on VV and VC gobbler tags (as expected - rough odds for NR). Will look forward to your report, that's a hunt I really hope to do some day.

Congrats!!! I struck out on VV and VC gobbler tags (as expected - rough odds for NR). Will look forward to your report, that's a hunt I really hope to do some day.

Thank you and I hope you draw some day!

I am new to these forums but have tried to draw for VV and VC turkey hunts the last 4 years with no success. I hunted the Vermejo ranch for elk in the 90's and there is plenty of wildlife in that area. I will just have to be happy with my backyard of unit 45.

I am new to these forums but have tried to draw for VV and VC turkey hunts the last 4 years with no success. I hunted the Vermejo ranch for elk in the 90's and there is plenty of wildlife in that area. I will just have to be happy with my backyard of unit 45.

Im very jealous you have 45 in your backyard!
Thats a unit I've looked at hard for that passed few years and always wanted to get out and explore it.
I feel like that are some gem areas out there with some pretty good animals!

Im still newer to NM and most of my experience has been unit 31, 34, 40, 51, 54/55 (Colin Neblett)
My goal is to keep expanding out and seeing all the new areas.

Good luck to you this turkey season. My GOAL is to go fill my VV tag and then run off to 51 to try and fill another.
Then sit patiently and wait for the draws. :D

Hunted Vermejo in 92, looked over at your area. Should be good!

I hope it's good too!

Good luck in your hunt this year. The Santa Fe National forest in unit 45 is great back country. Lots deer, elk, turkey, bear, and lots of mountain lions. I am always looking for new hunting partners if you decide to hunt this area I can help out.

Good luck & good hunting up there in VV!

Been in there but never hunted it.
Have been all over 45 hunting elk & deer, tho not in 6 yrs.

Good luck & good hunting up there in VV!

Been in there but never hunted it.
Have been all over 45 hunting elk & deer, tho not in 6 yrs.

Thank you!
Im so excited to get out there and explore it.

Good luck in your hunt this year. The Santa Fe National forest in unit 45 is great back country. Lots deer, elk, turkey, bear, and lots of mountain lions. I am always looking for new hunting partners if you decide to hunt this area I can help out.

I will definitely let you know!
Good luck if you get out and chase some turkeys.

Thanks I most certainly plan on going out and getting my 2 Toms. Getting my new turkey vest delivered tomorrow, picked up the new NWTF alps outdoorz grand slam turkey vest and some new David Halloran calls. Beyond excited for April 15.

Thanks I most certainly plan on going out and getting my 2 Toms. Getting my new turkey vest delivered tomorrow, picked up the new NWTF alps outdoorz grand slam turkey vest and some new David Halloran calls. Beyond excited for April 15.

Im looking forward to your victory pics!

Congrats on a great tag! Enjoy it. Beautiful place. Never been in April but I'd expect snow. I hunt 54/55 turkey and it can be snowy.

Congrats on a great tag! Enjoy it. Beautiful place. Never been in April but I'd expect snow. I hunt 54/55 turkey and it can be snowy.

Thanks!
Im actually looking forward to the snow a bit. I think I can use it to my advantage.
I was reading an article from an older "NM Turkey legend" who said "work the snow line."
As the snow melts off the grass greens up and there are bugs, so hopefully the turkeys are moving with it!

Guess we will see :D I'm hoping to find a few sheds as well. ;)

I will most definitely post some pics. I went for a drive yesterday in unit 45 and saw a group of about 70 turkeys in one of my favorite spots. Spring turkey numbers are looking good.

That's awesome! Thats a very healthy flock for NM...
Most of the ones I ran into were maybe 10-20. Always some nice gobblers though!
Will you be bow hunting them or will you use a shotgun?

Reports from where I hunt up North is the snow is melting up nicely.
So I have a pretty good idea already where I'll find birds.

I always do shotgun, I have never tried bow hunting at all. One day I will give it a go.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back