PEAX Equipment

Sleeping Bag for back country trip - Kelty EX 0

MazzHunter

I am planning a solo back country/ backpack trip in central CO (11,000 ft elevation) for archery DIY. Looking for a 0 degree bag and I do not like the traditional mummy bags as they are too confining for me. I'm 6'1 and 190 so kind of average size. I don't have the budget for a super high end down bag so trying to find something that will pack in ok (not too big), warm enough and a value for my budget.

Has anyone tried the Kelty EX bags? Are they roomier than standard mummy bags? Any other input would be helpful.

I haven't been able to find the shoulder girth dimensions on Kelty's site.

thanks in advance.

I haven't used that particular bag but I have a Kelty 0 down bag (an older model I don't think they make anymore). It seems similar though. Mine is like a semi-mummy or wide-mummy or something like that. I'm a big broad shouldered guy and it works great for me.

I have had good luck with the Kelty bags, but I fell like the one I currently have runs on the smaller side. Sportsmans Warehouse and REI usually carry Kelty bags. If you have one close by you could go check them out. If not, REI has a great return policy if you want to buy one online.

For what it's worth I have a 0 kelty and a -20 that I get cold in but a marmot 15 that I don't. After a little reading I learned that the manufacturer can throw whatever temp they want on there with no basis. Where nicer bags actually have some European standard and the a lot have 2 numbers, a comfortable temp rating and a you're alive temp. While some even give a male vs female rating. I'll have to say all this made sense after being cold in a -20 rated bag vs a comfort rated +15 bag.

I did find a marmot +15 bag in a wide version on rei. I may run down to my local rei to check that out too.

Thx

I have a Kelty 0 bag & not been cold . Got to -10 once.Very roomy. I'm 6'2" & 180, wide shoulders.
But I take my Marmot -15 bag if it's going down below zero,and comfortable up to high thirties in it.

Ditto the check size @ REI,You might even find a deal.Got my Marmot 1/2 price there & the Kelty for $60 from a small backpacking shop clearing stock.

What Schaaf mentioned....check out the backcountry quilts from enlightenedequipment.com. Beats a mummy bag any day in the comfort and roominess categories. Get the 0° version and you will be good to go.

If you're not experienced with a quilt, you might be disappointed in how hard you can lean into the ratings under 10 or 15 degrees. Not saying you can't, but there is an art to it. I want super efficiency in those conditions, and for me that means being careful about capturing head and neck warmth. Easy to do in a well designed mummy, not as easy with a quilt. Enlightened equipment is top notch though.

All that said, if you're archery hunting out of a backpack you almost surely don't need a 0* bag. I regularly use a 22* bag into October at 9-11000' with some careful layering. I would rather have a very high quality 15*-20* down bag or quilt than a poor insulation/construction/design option rated for much colder.

After a couple of miserable nights in my cheap 0 degree bag I got a nice marmot 15 degree bag and have never looked back. I did a couple of late October/ early November backpack hunts and I was comfortable in temps around -5. Granted i have a good pad, and I was well layered inside my bag.

Also I can fit that bag in a nalgene. My advice get a good bag if you can afford it.

After a couple of miserable nights in my cheap 0 degree bag I got a nice marmot 15 degree bag and have never looked back. I did a couple of late October/ early November backpack hunts and I was comfortable in temps around -5. Granted i have a good pad, and I was well layered inside my bag.

Also I can fit that bag in a nalgene. My advice get a good bag if you can afford it.

Agree on the early season bag.
I also have a Marmot 15 deg and been to 10 in it,could go lower if I had it in my OR bivy.Ditto the quality pad that fits in too.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back