Yeti GOBOX Collection

ewe sheep

What are your odds of drawing a ram tag in the future? Will you regret not getting a ram if you burn the points?

I will tell you that my wife and daughter have each drawn a 680 ewe tag the past two years.... Super fun hunt.... zero tags filled. We really did have a blast, saw ewes on the wrong side of the river, found a couple big rams we could have shot, but never even got to put a stalk on a legal sheep.

We hunted the river with a boat, and put on lots of vertical miles. Definitely not as "hard core" as I would expect out of members of this forum, but I was pretty proud of my 13 year old daughter the way she tackled that rough country. I thought it would be a slam dunk, but it wasn't. I think if you were there on the right day it could be pretty easy, but not always a walk in the park. If you are looking for a fun adventure, go for it. We will likely do it again if we can get one of them drawn. As for me, I will hold on to my points until I get a tag, or get to finally chase my dream ram in the great beyond.

Attachments

• 2016-10-04 17.11.01.jpg
    2016-10-04 17.11.01.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 681
How old will you be in the 20 years it's going to take you to draw the ram tag? Burn the points now and go to Canada for the ram later.

I wouldn't but if you do and it's the 620 tag I'll point you in the right direction

My 622 ewe was a ton of fun. I drew it without using bonus points so there is always the option of taking a year off and testing your luck in the ewe drawing for a year before going back to rams.

Can you build points and hunt the unlimited units at the same time? Your a resident, so you have a better chance to draw a ram one day then any NR. But then again, if your contemplating burning 7 points on a ewe now, it would be better to get it over with and hunt a ewe with 7 points now than waiting a few years and doing it anyway say with 12 points...

My 622 ewe was a ton of fun. I drew it without using bonus points so there is always the option of taking a year off and testing your luck in the ewe drawing for a year before going back to rams.

I saw Remi Warren mention once that you could check the box to NOT use your points and put the unlimited hunt first choice. Then next year you'd still have your points. Not sure it's true or not but coming from him, I'd have to assume so. Also, I wonder if that would work for a ewe tag?

Yep, you'd have to put back in using your bonus points the following year or you would lose your points.

I have really enjoyed my ewe hunts in the breaks over the past few years. I am almost sad that my seven year wait is over...well, not really. You could do like others have suggested and apply in a high odds unit while not using your points. I believe you can do this for two years before loosing your accumulated points.

DSCN5326.jpg
DSCN5180.jpg

According to GoHunt, my odds with my points tend to be less than 0.5%...assuming I'm still a MT resident in 20 years I'll be 55 but I'm not sure exactly what the odds will be as there will be guys with way more points. I should have started when I first became a resident of MT and I'd have nearly double the points. I just wanted to get after a sheep before I was too old to do it or I become a non-resident and basically lose all chance.

I wasn't aware a person could opt out of applying points to applications and maybe that's what I'll consider because I know I'm not in any shape to be up in those Unlimited Units for 2-3 weeks while hoping to track down a legal ram. If I were in the same shape as Gerald or Travis I'd do it every year and skip a bunch of archery season to do.

I'm in the minority here but I say BURN EM!

If you crunch the numbers it is possible you will never draw a ram tag.

I tried the unlimited a couple years and got the sheep bug.

Decided the heck with it - i'm hunting sheep before I get to old.

The first year I archery hunted solo and took the family. It was so fun my hunting partner joined me the next year so I got to hunt sheep two years in a row. Every year I look at the odds and have no regrets.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

The crew

IMG_0211.jpg

People draw tags with zero points every yr...3 people with 7pnts drew 680 ram tags last yr.....7 points actually had the best draw odds for the unit @ 1.69% When its your time its your time whether u have 0 points or 15...1 drew a 482 ram with 7 last yr also.

Last edited:
People draw tags with zero points every yr...3 people with 7pnts drew 680 ram tags last yr.....7 points actually had the best draw odds for the unit @ 1.69% When its your time its your time whether u have 0 points or 15...1 drew a 482 ram with 7 last yr also.

I agree with this. I drew 680 this previous season with zero points. You will never draw one if you don't put in!

That was the "success" in the draw, not the odds.

177 applicants and 3 were drawn. Not odds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back