Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Factory ammo for Tikka T3x 7mm RemMag

MTGomer

I have just bought a Tikka T3x Superlite from Sportsmans Warehouse in 7mm Rem Mag. I am not a gun/ammo expert by any means. I am a hunter and use guns as a tool to hunt. I don't know as much as I should about ballistics, ammo, reloading, etc...
I'm just curious what FACTORY loads folks on here have had good luck with.

I am thinking Nosler Accubond Trophy Grade 168 gr., Federal Vital Shocks or the Bergers that HSM loads.

I am open to any other suggestions. The ones above are just what I have looked into and have a positive impression of.

I hear people have pretty good luck with Tikkas shooting factory ammo well, so I'm hoping I get lucky and it shoots one of the first I pick well and I'll just stick with that.
I'm not the type of guy to continuously tinker with stuff to get immeasurably better groups.

Cost of ammo is not a huge concern, but if I could find a mid-price rang bullet to shoot well that would be good. I have won a trip to a shooting clinin and will have to shoot approx 260 rounds in a weekend, which gets costly. (I'm getting a brake installed now, to reduce the physical cost to my shoulder)

Thanks for any feedback. This forum seems full of tikka shooters.

MTGomer

You must be my brother from another mother....................last Saturdays shenanigans at Sportys

Bought some 7mm mag ammo that was on sale that day but with be looking for some input from this thread as well. Might be a bit before I have enough scratch for a scope for it though.

While all 3 you mentioned are great bullets, I suggest something else. I have used Federal Fusion factory ammo in many calibers and many times, it has been more accurate than my handloads! Its currently my go-to load for 6.8 SPC, 243, 7mm-08, 308 and 7mm Rem Magnum. They are a bonded core bullet and I think about the lowest cost bullet of that type in a factory load.

I also purchased the same rifle a few months ago. Been using the 162 grain hornady ammo and works great.

I've been shooting Hornady superformance 154 gr. out of mine for years and loved it. I tried and then switched to the new ELD-X 162 gr. last year and won't look back. The gun flat out shoots with that factory load!

My Tikka T3 7MM Rem mag is not the new one, but it does like 140Gr Federal premium loaded with Partitions and 140 Gr. Winchester ballistic Silvertips.

My T3 30-06 shoots Federal Fusion 165g very nicely. Being the cheap ass I am, I started cheap and lucked out. I could have very well started premium and shot well but then I'd feel like I would have to keep spending the extra coin.

I have just bought a Tikka T3x Superlite from Sportsmans Warehouse in 7mm Rem Mag. I am not a gun/ammo expert by any means. I am a hunter and use guns as a tool to hunt. I don't know as much as I should about ballistics, ammo, reloading, etc...
I'm just curious what FACTORY loads folks on here have had good luck with.

I am thinking Nosler Accubond Trophy Grade 168 gr., Federal Vital Shocks or the Bergers that HSM loads.

I am open to any other suggestions. The ones above are just what I have looked into and have a positive impression of.

I hear people have pretty good luck with Tikkas shooting factory ammo well, so I'm hoping I get lucky and it shoots one of the first I pick well and I'll just stick with that.
I'm not the type of guy to continuously tinker with stuff to get immeasurably better groups.

Cost of ammo is not a huge concern, but if I could find a mid-price rang bullet to shoot well that would be good. I have won a trip to a shooting clinin and will have to shoot approx 260 rounds in a weekend, which gets costly. (I'm getting a brake installed now, to reduce the physical cost to my shoulder)

Thanks for any feedback. This forum seems full of tikka shooters.

I have the same rifle. I started reloading the 168gr. Bergers last year and they shoot about 1 moa. I've heard good things about the ELDX's though. I might have to give them a try.

I needed brass for my Howa 7 mag, so I bought a box of Hornady american whitetail in 139 gr. and it shot very well, especially for lower priced ammo.

Maybe the question should have been, is there anything these rifles don't shoot well?

Thanks for all the input so far

I am really wishing there was a Sportmans Warehouse closer to me. I want this exact same rifle, but don't have a free weekend for awhile to make the 4 1/2 hr drive(each way) to my closest Sportsmans.

Hornady's "Precision Hunter" factory ammo with the 162 grain ELD-X shoots really well out of my Sako Finnlight in 7mmRM (similar if not same barrel as your tikka). Dropped a Mule Deer buck in his tracks last year at 300 yards. Groups pretty good on paper as well. Not real expensive either. Its a little slower than what the box claims (90fps slower in my gun, according to my chrono), but that's not too big a deal. There's a lot of good factory loads out there. The Federal Premium 160 Partition loads shoot really good too out of my gun. If I weren't handloading now, I'd be running those for elk more than likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back