Caribou Gear Tarp

What's the easiest way to get into hunting pronghorn?

Tiredofthebickering

Is there a way to go hunting for pronghorn this year just by buying OTC tags? What are the odds of success by going this route? What state would you recommend? I'm coming from S. Florida so it almost doesn't matter what state it is, it's a long drive either way, lol. I'm not necessarily interested in shooting a trophy, or even a buck if getting a doe tag is easier. I'm just looking for the experience and chance to harvest an animal.

I've never really considered it before, but after watching a number of Randy's shows let's just say that I'm intrigued, lol. I haven't the slightest clue how to get started!

Every state I know of is limited entry draw for pronghorn, so you will have to get ready for the upcoming drawings, with Arizona having already passed.

Getting the tag is usually harder than filling the tag.

Thank you!

In your experience what are the easier states to get drawn for? Should I plan on earning points for a few years before I draw? I'm not concerned with hunting a prime area, but I'd love to see the animals and hopefully have a chance at harvesting any legal antelope.

Wyoming is probably your best bet. You could probably be hunting there this year, but a year or two of points opens up a bunch more opportunities. Exercise the search function on this site. I doubt there are too many forums that have a better or broader range of info posted on pronghorn hunting from start to finish.

I can only speak of ID, MT, WY

MT: Nearly all antelope tags are by draw, no OTC. There are a very few, first come first served leftover tags. I have been up at 6 am (or whatever the time is) when they release those tags and I can not get in in time. I think they were all doe tags as well.

ID: All draw, virtually no leftover OTC tags. NR cap is biggest limiting factor I've found.

WY: Mainly draw. Again, there are a few leftover tags, they tend to be in the NE corner of the state and only does. They go through a second draw for them.

All that being said, there are some areas that have very good draw rates. I think it entirely possible for you to get in and get on one this fall. I love antelope, the chase and the meat. I have begun shifting towards them more because of less completion from other hunters. Who knows, maybe I'll do a "antelope slam" and get one from every state.

Nebraska has OTC archery Pronghorn tags. I haven't tried it (I'd like to!), and I don't know your chance of success, but the option exists.

Put in for Wyoming unit 38 and if you draw the tag (should be easy but it is a hard winter) I will give you detailed info for an easy/fun first Lope hunt.

Get a tag, then a map, and get out of the truck and walk. You'll be amazed at how many critters can't be seen from the truck.

Just about half of Colorado is OTC for archery. Archery tags are either sex. You still have time to put in for a point this year and you can still hunt OTC. With a point or two you can draw a muzzleloader buck tag in a lot of units.

Go to the Wyoming Game and Fish page, as well as Toprut. Use them to select a unit and go hunt them this year. With a bit of research you'll easily draw a tag and get your antelope on public land. If you are coming from Florida, get a couple of doe tags as well, so your hunt isn't over on the first day.

If you choose 38 as your first choice, make sure you pick a 2nd choice carefully because you likely won't draw it unless you put in for the "special" license.

Go to the Wyoming Game and Fish page, as well as Toprut. Use them to select a unit and go hunt them this year. With a bit of research you'll easily draw a tag and get your antelope on public land. If you are coming from Florida, get a couple of doe tags as well, so your hunt isn't over on the first day.

If you choose 38 as your first choice, make sure you pick a 2nd choice carefully because you likely won't draw it unless you put in for the "special" license.

Do you have to draw a buck tag in order to buy the doe tags?

Do you have to draw a buck tag in order to buy the doe tags?

No. You can apply for just a buck tag, just doe tags, or both. They are a separate drawing. When you apply for the doe tags you can check a box that will take you out of the drawing for the doe tags if you do not draw the buck tag. If you want both, study the draw odds to find a unit that gives you good odds of drawing both.

Apply for some Wyoming doe tags and an any antelope tag. If you don't get the any antelope tag come out anyway to hunt your doe. No better way to get into it than doing it. You'll get a PP for next year and maybe learn an area for a buck hunt later. Pick an area you may draw with 1 PP and apply for doe tags there this year. After the drawing you may be able to get 2 more doe tags in a leftover draw for a close area. That gives you the chance to learn a little about 2 different units in one year. Doe taste great, are fun to hunt and easier to find. Make it a challenge if you want by pursuing only doe with longer horns or horns with prongs. You don't have to get a buck tag to have a fun hunt. Might be able to get in some sage grouse hunting and fishing also.

Apply for some Wyoming doe tags and an any antelope tag. If you don't get the any antelope tag come out anyway to hunt your doe. No better way to get into it than doing it. You'll get a PP for next year and maybe learn an area for a buck hunt later. Pick an area you may draw with 1 PP and apply for doe tags there this year. After the drawing you may be able to get 2 more doe tags in a leftover draw for a close area. That gives you the chance to learn a little about 2 different units in one year. Doe taste great, are fun to hunt and easier to find. Make it a challenge if you want by pursuing only doe with longer horns or horns with prongs. You don't have to get a buck tag to have a fun hunt. Might be able to get in some sage grouse hunting and fishing also.

Excellent idea! Hunt doe tags this year while gaining a point to learn a unit. A less expensive way to go and you still get meat out of the deal.

Excellent idea! Hunt doe tags this year while gaining a point to learn a unit. A less expensive way to go and you still get meat out of the deal.

Am I reading the website that doe tags are only $34 for a non-resident? Also, is there a good resource to make sure you don't end up on private land accidentally?

$48 for NR with the application fee. Hunt planner map shows land status.Onx chips for gps.

They are $34 as leftovers. If you do them in the draw they are $48 and you can put in for 2 in the draw. Like wytex suggested, never hunt out West without an onXmap chip in your GPS.

Thanks! I guess I should look into buy a GPS, lol.

For any tag you can draw with 0 points, your GPS (and chip) will be more important than your rifle. If you have a smartphone you can also get an app for it, though the dependability, in my experience, is less than a GPS and chip.

Along with the GPS I also always have a compass around my neck. If I see a herd I can get a bearing on them and estimate the distance. I can then go to my GPS and, using that information, move the cursor to where I think the antelope are. If the cursor winds up on public land, I can plan my stalk. If it ends up in the middle of private I know not to waste my time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back