What's the easiest way to get into hunting pronghorn?

So I'm in the boat of 0 pp for antelope and just want some doe tags for maybe the central/ western part of Wyoming due to driving from northern Idaho so going to the eastern side of the state would turn it into a long drive. Is it worth applying for say a type 6 tag or waiting to see what leftovers come out? I thought I heard something about their being a second drawing for leftovers this year? Thanks guys

I just checked my odds as res. in NM. LOL
Slim & none.
Have better odds at an Oryx or a trophy bull unit.

Drawing is the proposal by G&F. You can get up to 2 doe tags in initial drawing then apply for leftover any antelope and doe tags. Remember there are set aside random tags too so somebody has to draw those. Those with no PP have a chance just slim. We also have sage grouse season and "dusky" grouse season in Sept , so antelope hunting can be only part of your trip. Spawning trout in the fall are also beautiful to catch.

Several years ago, me a a good friend struck out in the draws. I said, "do you want to go antelope hunting in NM?". I spent a Sunday afternoon on the phone with a list of landowner tags found on the dept web site. For $1,500 per tag, we had a ranch to hunt with quality animals and no other hunters. We took our young sons the next season, and then sent friends out there the year after that. All filled tags with nice animals. That's not cheap, but is a way to do it. We liked it because we could make the drive home to Mississippi in one very long day.

Several years ago, me a a good friend struck out in the draws. I said, "do you want to go antelope hunting in NM?". I spent a Sunday afternoon on the phone with a list of landowner tags found on the dept web site. For $1,500 per tag, we had a ranch to hunt with quality animals and no other hunters. We took our young sons the next season, and then sent friends out there the year after that. All filled tags with nice animals. That's not cheap, but is a way to do it. We liked it because we could make the drive home to Mississippi in one very long day.

I dislike landowner tags and paying for private land access as it hurts Joe SixPack when tags and access go to the fat wallets. That said, after some rodeos years ago where slob hunters were pounding public land on ATVs so sounded like time trials at Indy and other infuriating crap with multiple broken lawn chairs at every waterhole, many with the same name which is silly...I realized I enjoy glassing a meadow or mountainside without seeing a single orange vest or ATV. I changed gears and my new Plan A was to draw tags with low hunter numbers and lots of public land. That results in fewer hunts drawn, though. Plan B is getting a guide with horses to get into the deep woods. Plan C is a landowner tag on private land and Plan D is getting on private land in a crowded unit. I am an old guy and am not chasing that many tags anymore so my blood pressure is improving compared to some of the rodeo hunts.

Looking back at over 80 hunts, 1 was with guide on private land and 7 were on private land family owns and 1 on private land I paid to access and 4 were with guides on public land. Of those 13 hunts, 2 were landowner tags, 7 were OTC and 1 was leftover tag then 3 drawn tags. All 13 hunts were relaxed and quiet. Another 3 hunts were NM pronghorn that I drew and was assigned by F&G to private land for the hunt. The other hunts were drawn and took place on public land and were unguided. I sleep well most nights but know I danced at times with the portion of the hunting ecosystem that squeezes Joe.

If you want to get a couple pronghorn does under your belt while waiting to get some pref points, I would recommend Wyoming. You can get them fairly easy and once you get your pref points built up you can apply for an area where good antelope bucks are roaming around.

Last edited:
Apply for some Wyoming doe tags and an any antelope tag. If you don't get the any antelope tag come out anyway to hunt your doe. No better way to get into it than doing it. You'll get a PP for next year and maybe learn an area for a buck hunt later. Pick an area you may draw with 1 PP and apply for doe tags there this year. After the drawing you may be able to get 2 more doe tags in a leftover draw for a close area. That gives you the chance to learn a little about 2 different units in one year. Doe taste great, are fun to hunt and easier to find. Make it a challenge if you want by pursuing only doe with longer horns or horns with prongs. You don't have to get a buck tag to have a fun hunt. Might be able to get in some sage grouse hunting and fishing also.

My thoughts exactly there is nothing better than pronghorn hunting except maybe eating the meat. Those horns just don't look like they'd taste that great!

Buddy and I were short on funds & vacation time in '15 so we applied for 2 doe tags each in an area where I wanted to take my boys who'll each have 1 PP this year for a buck tag. Tell ya what that was as much fun as I've ever had hunting with all the pressure of a good buck off my shoulders we hit it HARD driving straight through & tent camping but had a BLAST and with my car being so fuel efficient we ended up putting only 2 vacation days & less than $300 into the whole deal with tags & gas included!

Scenery is sick and people are awesome animals are a challenge to stalk but easy to spot.

American dream.

If you want to get a couple pronghorn does under your belt while waiting to get some pref points, I would recommend Wyoming. You can get them fairly easy and once you get your pref points built up you can apply for an area where good antelope bucks are roaming around.

Disregard. I just put in for a doe tag in a couple of units.

Chad, Are they available OTC? Or is this a first come first served system online?

Last edited:
Chad, Are they available OTC? Or is this a first come first served system online?

Doe deer and antelope and Type 6 cow elk tags have a separate drawing that is random with everyone having an equal chance at the tags with no PPs used. Then there will be a second drawing you apply for if there are any leftovers. After that if there are still any tags left it's a first come first serve on line for everyone no matter what your resident state is.

If you are putting into the draw in wyoming as a group, each member must buy the same type of permit. For example, you can't put in for Any Antelope and your buddy put in for a doe permit. You both would need to put in for Any Antelope or both put in for doe permits.

Very few people in Wyoming are willing to walk for an antelope. I never ran into anybody when I was 1/4-1/5 mile from a road. The Lope can sit in a small depression or over a small rise and never bee seen from the road. Hike to a few different areas and there always seems to be dozens of Lope just out of view from the road. Same thing for Elk and mile deer but I find I usually need to hike just a little further...1-2 miles from the roads. Good luck

The terrain can look flat, but there's always little washouts and old creek beds and all sorts of terrain features that you wouldn't think are there.

Montana 900-20 statewide archery only pronghorn is Virtually​ 100% draw. Likely the easiest way to get a tag but possibly the most difficult way to hunt.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back