Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

How is winter on Kodiak?

Deertick

My son and I are headed to Kodiak/Raspberry Island in November to chase blacktails ... wondering if there's any intel out there on how the winter is going up there? It sounds like the last few years have been mild, and I'm guessing that's good news for the deer population.

I was just on the Kenai Peninsula last week. From what I gathered from the locals is this winter they have had more snowfall than the last 4-5 years. The last 4-5 years have been mild, and this year is more like a normal winter. Its not Kodiak, but close. Hopefully it helps.

Kodiak is its own separate piece of AK. I wouldn't attach much importance to what's happening on the mainland. There are probably weather cams (at the airport) that can be accessed to see what the snow cover is like. Better yet, call one of the air taxis on Kodiak and ask them about snow amounts, so far. You could also call the Kodiak F&G office for a weather/deer kill update. If you're hunting Raspberry, You have to get there - call whoever you're going to use for transport. I haven't seen anything about excessive snow amounts, yet. This past year was a super year for big bucks on the island. There is also an Alaskan Blacktail FB page, you might want to check out.
Its early to be checking on deer kill - if I were you, I'd wait until the end of April to start checking with the options I noted above. Still plenty of time left in this winter for a significant deer killing snow.

Last edited:
Call this number (907) 487-4338. That's the number to the National Weather Service Kodiak office. Cameron, Ray, or John are the guys working there. They can answer your questions, especially Cameron. Or call Big Rays Outfitter store (used to be Macks) 907) 486-4276. They can fill you in.

I've been chatting w/ a guy who lives on Kodiak. Minor winter kill was showing up a solid month and a half ago along his favorites ski runs. He commented that fat deposits in fall were less than in years past, likely due to the hyper-abundance of deer on the island in last 2 years or so. A little density dependence kicking in.

I've kept daily tabs on things and seems a moderate kill is to be expected, the population could handle it though - should be mostly the young and the weak that take the hardest beating. I'd hazard a guess that it will be nothing like the MAJOR kills of past though.

Will be up in the alpine last of August, early September - can't wait!!

Yes, there is always April lurking in the shadows though. A late-season ice crust on even a moderate snowpack can have devastating consequences on the back-end of an otherwise tame winter...Fingers crossed!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back