Hello from SoDak

dcreiss

Longtime hunter here that has caught the elk hunting bug after successfully filling my South Dakota resident elk tag last year. Its an interesting transition from being a prairie hunter to chasing elk in a mountainous setting and I learned the value of conditioning and determination before, during and after the shot. There is no off season, researching out of state tags and units has become an obsession and what I look forward to each evening.

Blessed Hunting,
-DR

Welcome from Sioux Falls! Great group on here to help us flat landers

Welcome from the southeast corner of the state. Please share your Black Hills elk experience! I hunted this fall with my two youngest sons and had a great Time.

I hunted unit 5, really low elk numbers but I stuck it out on my own for 13 straight days and called in a small 6. I saw 4 elk total in those 13 days including the two bulls on my last evening. Unit 5 is tough with all the beetle kill and hunting in the Black Elk Wilderness.....But totally worth it.

Welcome from another south Dakotan! How many years did it take you to draw? I think I have 13 yrs. still no luck.

It only took me 6 years to draw unit 5, only 5 tags in the unit and better draw odds than the other units but there is the disclaimer by GFP that there are low elk numbers and that deters a lot of applicants. I can attest that there are few elk but if you are willing to hunt roadless areas and not expect to see many it is a great hunt. I didn't see other hunters the entire time and got to hunt some awesome country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back