The Pop-Up Blind is the Greatest Outdoor Invention Ever

michiganhunter2001

There is nothing worse than sitting against a tree somewhere in the pouring rain. It's cold, damp, and you feel like the water is sucking the heat right from your body. Well, last year while turkey hunting, I decided that I was done freezing my ass off in the rain. So, I went out with what little money that I had saved up from my crap job at Krogers and bought an Ameristep pop-up blind. I still think that it is the best thing I've ever purchased, at least for hunting. At last, no more sitting out freezing in the rain. My dad is a little, uh, set in his ways if you will, and he scoffed at the idea of a pop up blind. Well, let's just say I had the last laugh when he was sitting out in the rain! To this day, nothing in my life was more satisfying watching my dad trudge up to the blind and ask if there was any room for him. I would recommend a pop up blind to anyone, and I look forward to using it again come April 17th.

I usually either have a blind set up on the property or in my truck for days like you just described. I do prefer a tree for deer hunting, and run and gun for turkeys, but it's nice to have a dry place to retreat to when the weather kicks up.

I'm a fan! Never seriously used one until the past two years. Between the boys and I we've killed 5 deer out of it since then. Twice on the same day we set it up! They are a godsend for taking youngsters with you. It works well enough that I've having second thoughts about spending the money to make something more permanent in the same spot.

Popup blinds are fantastic for turkey hunting when mentoring beginner hunters. As I get older I really appreciate getting out of nasty weather more!

I have one of those 2 man fold out chairs that has a blind covering and top over it. Really neat for that day you just know the big boy is gonna wander through. John

I like them for turkey hunting with a bow or when it's raining. They are also great for deer or turkeys with kids. For just about any other type of hunting I'd rather be outside either in a tree, or running and gunning. My dad did shoot a nice elk out of one hunting over a waterhole.

michigan2001 welcome to HuntTalk, and I enjoyed your description of your dad eating crow and joining you in your (dry!) blind.

Back