MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Northern Michigan Grouse Hunting

michiganhunter2001

Has anyone else noticed the decrease in grouse numbers in Northern Michigan? I'm only 16 and I've been hunting them for the last 6 or 7 years with my dad. He tells me about times maybe 15 years ago when they would get 10 or so flushes a day. Now, we get 2 or 3 grouse flushes the whole trip. From what I've heard from biologists is that we are in the bottom of a 10 year cycle and that the numbers should start rising again, but they've been saying that for awhile. Your thoughts?

They are definitely lower than they were 5-6 years ago in the areas I hunt in Northern Wisconsin. Grouse do cycle and we are currently at the low end of the cycle as well. Also, Grouse habitat is always changing. Aspen stands that were good spots to go in past years may decline as the stand matures. Where do you hunt in the U.P.? I fish and camp in the Eastern part of the U.P. (the Hiawatha NF and Lake Superior SF in Luce and Mackinac Counties). I always seem to flush a few grouse when out trout fishing on the rivers.

Consider yourself a lucky guy, michiganhunter2001. When I was your age I lived in Grand Marais MN, across the big pond from the UP. Learned to hunt Ruffs on the shores of Lake Superior and the Gunflint Trail country. I was lucky, at that time the birds happened to be on the upside of the cycle. You are way more technically proficient than I was then - I never kept track of flushes. But by the time I moved back near Duluth a couple years later, the down trend was beginning - had a definite notable effect on the number of birds we saw.
I'll never forget the smell of fall in the mixed hardwoods and pines of the North Country. Hope you continue to have the opportunity to spend a lotta' time up there. Post pics......

Last edited:
Northwoods is right. I think in the central UP we are just coming out of the low part of the cycle. The forestry industry kind of drives grouse habitat with the types of forest management programs. A lot of times these management programs are based on timber value on a given type of tree species and tree size. When the value of these specific trees are up the plan is to harvest them if they are big enough to cut. Clear cutting or a heavy cut is good for grouse habitat and grouse number regeneration. The good news is I am noticing more clear cutting or heavy cutting going on in the last couple of years. I think our grouse numbers should start rebounding soon. Another factor that slows grouse recovery numbers is mortality caused by cold wet spring season when grouse chicks can be affected by the severe conditions. Let's hope for a warm spring like the winter we are having and I think we will have some decent hunting in a couple of years.

@Northwoods Labs We actually hunt in the north part of the Lower, around Grayling. Used to have some great popple areas. My dad has showed me pics of the areas they used to hunt. Absolutely stunning.. Sadly, there was a huge forest fire one summer that destroyed a lot of the area, and quite a lot of it was dry cut. Like huronmtns said, this winter was pretty mild, hopefully the spring continues the trend. We recently got 2 English setters and we've been trying to train them, but not much for them to train on unfortunately. I live in the southern LP, so even grayling is a 3+ hour trip. Do you have any areas that you would recommend in the UP?

Last edited:
Northwoods is right. I think in the central UP we are just coming out of the low part of the cycle. The forestry industry kind of drives grouse habitat with the types of forest management programs. A lot of times these management programs are based on timber value on a given type of tree species and tree size. When the value of these specific trees are up the plan is to harvest them if they are big enough to cut. Clear cutting or a heavy cut is good for grouse habitat and grouse number regeneration. The good news is I am noticing more clear cutting or heavy cutting going on in the last couple of years. I think our grouse numbers should start rebounding soon. Another factor that slows grouse recovery numbers is mortality caused by cold wet spring season when grouse chicks can be affected by the severe conditions. Let's hope for a warm spring like the winter we are having and I think we will have some decent hunting in a couple of years.

I hope so. All of our go to areas have been dry cut within the last 3-4 years so hopefully we can get out of this down part of the cycle.

The last 2 years have been horrible. This last fall was year 50 for me in the grouse covers and it was the worse I've ever seen. I've got a young dog so I'm sure he will see some great hunts in the years to come but it's been frustrating. I still love it though.

The last 2 years have been horrible. This last fall was year 50 for me in the grouse covers and it was the worse I've ever seen. I've got a young dog so I'm sure he will see some great hunts in the years to come but it's been frustrating. I still love it though.

No doubt it's gotten bad lately... but like you said, it's always fun.

@Northwoods Labs We actually hunt in the north part of the Lower, around Grayling. Used to have some great popple areas. My dad has showed me pics of the areas they used to hunt. Absolutely stunning.. Sadly, there was a huge forest fire one summer that destroyed a lot of the area, and quite a lot of it was dry cut. Like huronmtns said, this winter was pretty mild, hopefully the spring continues the trend. We recently got 2 English setters and we've been trying to train them, but not much for them to train on unfortunately. I live in the southern LP, so even grayling is a 3+ hour trip. Do you have any areas that you would recommend in the UP?

I've only been in the U.P. fishing in the summer. Never have been there to grouse hunt in the fall. There looks to be good areas of cover in the National Forest near Brevort and the State Forest near Naubinway. I should head over that way and try it one fall, great country. The only time I've made it into the Lower Peninsula was to Mackinaw City a handful of times

Back