MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Camp setup

Rjschwertz66

So my buddy and I have narrowed down our choice of unit to hunt and have found 4 places that we think we want to go for a backpack hunt. My question is how close or far away from the area do you want to setup camp. I know from common sense you don't wanna camp right smack in the middle, but is there a general rule of thumb you veterans use? Or any advice from your own experience?

Obviously if you have them pegged on a consistent wallow don't camp right by it, and getting a handle on the prevailing wind direction is useful. But the best thing about backpacking hunting is the ability to be extremely flexible with your gameplan. If the terrain allows it and you need to be aggressive, so be it, and vise versa. The wind and terrain dictate how far away I camp, not so much a specific mileage.

If you've never hunted the area there's no way to know exactly where they will be. I wouldn't try to avoid camping in an entire area. For setting up an initial camp, I would try to camp away from any obvious elk sign(wallows, heavily used game trails, near meadows that they are obviously feeding in, ect). Once you have found them, I would try to camp 1/2 mile or so from them.

In my experience, it'll depend a little on your setup. If you are bivy / cold camping it - then you'll be surprised how little your presence has an impact. If you are setting up a long duration camp and have a fire pit, etc then I would setup outside of what I think is the ideal hunting spot.

Even then though, there is always the story of the camp cook that fills their tag from camp when everyone else is out hunting.

I cold camp solo and set up just below a saddle. Hunt downhill AM and back up PM.

Amazed how many elk I've seen within 200yds of my tent early in AM or late in PM. The tent doesn't seem to bother them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back