MT General ?

chadv

Do most districts allow either sex with a general tag or are they mostly bull only? I've been looking at the goHunt page trying to narrow down areas to start from and I noticed they mentioned higher pressure because of either sex?

I'd open the regs and look at the areas you are specifically looking at. It really depends on the area. I'd look at B tag allotment and either sex. Generally in archery its either sex. I have read the same thing on GoHunt, but that would be down on the list in determining what area I would hunt in. There will be pressure wherever you go.

I'm in the same boat as you and me and the rest of the crew are going thru the regs now marking up what each unit the general tag is good for... gohunt doesn't do the best job with the general tag but I don't blame em, it's pretty complex.

there aren't any elk in Montana, I wouldn't waste your time :rolleyes: in all seriousness, each district is different, and can change from year to year. Reading the regs is the only way to check.

It is a tradeoff. Either sex could mean more pressure, but it also means generally higher elk numbers. Otherwise, it would be limited quota on cows. The bigger factor is to look at the units you like and see if the elk can take refuge on private land. Higher elk numbers aren't that way randomly. The elk can escape and that typically is on private land. The biologist in the area can help with elk movement and where they winter.

Jeremy

It is a tradeoff. Either sex could mean more pressure, but it also means generally higher elk numbers. Otherwise, it would be limited quota on cows. The bigger factor is to look at the units you like and see if the elk can take refuge on private land. Higher elk numbers aren't that way randomly. The elk can escape and that typically is on private land. The biologist in the area can help with elk movement and where they winter.

Jeremy

I'd second this idea about moving to private land. It doesn't take long and they will go in a straight line. This has been my experience in R2, R3, and R4.

Thanks for the help. I just hung up with a gal from the FWP who answered a lot of my questions (they were closed yesterday). A lot of areas allow either but as many of you stated each area needs to be checked.

Its easy when you nail down what unit(s) you want to hunt. But you need to check the regs. each year. Over the last few years I've hunted a unit that went from brow tine bull and cow, to brow tine bull only, to brow tine bull and cow again in a span of about 4 or 5 years. Look up the unit regs each year for the units you plan to hunt, and keep the booklet handy when you think about checking out neighboring units.

I'm only hijacking this in order to not start another MT general thread... lol

My question is as a non-resident, I am hunting archery elk this year and going back for rifle deer, also I want to get a bonus point in each. My question is when I'm applying how does the big game combo work with the permit? Because it looks like I have to draw the big game combo in order to qualify for getting the permit, is this correct? So are there two rounds of draws for NR, first to see if you draw a big game combo, which I've heard there's always leftovers, then you go and see if you draw your permit? Also I only want to put in for one choice, the 900-20 permit, do I have to fill in my other 2 choices?

Also when I submit my permit I need to purchase a bow and arrow license too if I'm doing the 900-20 correcT? And my hunters ed doesn't have any #s on it, it's from PA, I forget what Colorado told me to do last year but what should I put in this spot?

Thanks guys!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back